Asparagus Beetle aaagh!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus Beetle aaagh!

I've just finished squashing about 50 - 60 of the (luckily) brightly coloured sex maniacs ( lots of couples) but I believe the next step is a grey grub? Is this right. any advice?
    The whole things been a bit of a shock as the pests have managed to strip about 8 fronds which go yellow dry and die (like ringed trees), considering that its taken 3 years to get a crop (delicious).

'Don't follow leaders, watch your parking meters' Robert Zimmerman

I've never seen the grubs - you can see the little black eggs on the stems. I think the grubs eventually pupate in the soil. The next generation overwinter in the old stems which is why you need to cut the foliage down in the autumn and preferably burn it.

I feel your pain. . .usually in my back where I crouch over the plants trying to spot the beetles, but so far this year it hasn't been too bad down here. We had a monsoon on Saturday so I think they may have got washed away - really need some warmth now for some good growth.
    Life is too short for drama & petty things!
    So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Bob Flowerdew says to leave one asparagus plant up over winter (don't cut it back) ... then in spring it will become infested with all the asparagus beetles in the area and you can burn the whole lot, beetles and all.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
        Bob Flowerdew says to leave one asparagus plant up over winter (don't cut it back) ... then in spring it will become infested with all the asparagus beetles in the area and you can burn the whole lot, beetles and all.
        Ooo I'll give it a try, bit scary tho as dont want to do anything to encourage the little blighters.
        Comfreyfan, you'r right about the backache, ouch!
        I found a couple of neat egg rows -4in each - squished.

So thats why they always say 'cut the spears about an inch below the surface' to fend of the grubs overwintering.

By the way I just got 5 Bocking 14 cuttings for Xmas pressie (belatedly) so looking forward to making my own organic fertiliser. Are you a Lawrence D. Hills fan also then Comfreyfan?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X