Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snail Invasion

Dear All
    I'm new to the forum so please forgive me if I've not searched any archives before posting.
    During the summer, I attempted to grow a few bits of veggies as well as my usual flowers, but I found I was overrun by snails - big suckers with monster shells. I've never seen so many in my life and have no idea where they've come from. Needless to say they obliterated everything. I'm limited what I can use cos I've got 2 small kiddies and prefer to use "friendly" stuff rather than the heavy duty stuff. Any ideas for next year?
    I grow most of my stuff in large pots as I only have a small patio garden (at the moment - just applying for an allotment).
    Cheers m'dears!

Hi Wigasaurus and welcome to the Vine ! The only thing I've heard of for stopping slugs and snails getting into pots is copper tape. Try this

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/slugextra.htm

I'd be tempted to stick a strip of sandpaper around the pot as I don't think they'd like climbing over that I'm sure some of the other Grapes on here will have some good advice for you.

Comment

Welcome!
      Not sure of the solution, but will give it some thought. Recent posts include encouraging hedgehogs and frogs/toads in to the garden (I guess the pond could pose similar problems with the children).
      I'm sure someone will offer some sound advice though.

Comment

Hi W and welcome to the Vine! If you type in slugs on the search thingy you'll come up with loads of useful advice. When I had lots of the little darlings I used a mutli-approach - grapefruit cut in half, jam jars sunk in the ground with beer in them, and I must admit as well, pellets. it eventually worked. Do let us know how you get on. DDL
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hello Wigasaurus and welcome to the vine. Dexterdog is right and you need a multi approach to dealing with them and I think a few pellets as well at times. I put a few pelets in little containers in among the plants just in case the slugs and snails have made their way in. Another point is they can't swim so if you are growing in containers if you stand them up on bricks or something in a tray of water they should be safe. Let us know how you get on and what you are growing.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice - actually I did feel rather mean using the pellets, but then I thought about all my hard work that had gone into raising the plants from seed etc etc, all the hard work it had taken to transform my back garden into my veg plot......you've made me feel much better! DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

What a good idea Alice!!! have never thought of that!!
              Hedgehogs can't climb higher than into a mop bucket (!) so if the pot were raised high enough , that would be another alternative if you really feel the need to use slug pellets and yet were worried about hedgehogs.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                Hello Wigasaurus and welcome to the vine. Dexterdog is right and you need a multi approach to dealing with them and I think a few pellets as well at times. I put a few pelets in little containers in among the plants just in case the slugs and snails have made their way in. Another point is they can't swim so if you are growing in containers if you stand them up on bricks or something in a tray of water they should be safe. Let us know how you get on and what you are growing.
                Thats probably where 'Island beds' come into their own!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hello DDL, glad that helped. I just think it has to be all things in moderation and the best way you can find for you.

And yes, Snadger, the island beds do work until it gets to Mossie time, when you just can't have water standing for more than 4 days or they breed in it, but I'm sure you knew that.

Nicos, I'm surprised hedgehogs can climb as high as a bucket. I've seen them going up through our rock garden and one level to another seemed to be a struggle - like something from a kids story book. I've got some pics of hoglets, must look them out and post.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Go out at dusk with a torch and pick them off. Sling or stamp. Up to you. It might seem too simple but fact is just one big slug or snail can decimate your crop to an astonishing degree. Remove just one and the effects can be very positive.
                    The most effective 'organic ' remedy is to remove them.
                    Where ever you see slime trails rub them out. The trail is literally that and guides them back to the food source. Remove it and it makes it more difficult for them. It's a battle, some might say a war (me for one) but certainly at the seedling /young plant stage if you don't deal with them you'll get no crops. They'll just munch the whole plant down to the roots.

Comment

the snails are a-breeding...mine are all quite small now, killed all the big buggers. When I started on my front garden (crumbling brick wall, lots of hidey holes) I found 100s of huge snails. Couldn't bear crunching them all underfoot, so I started slinging them onto the main road, thinking they'd have a quick death.
                      People were rescuing them! And putting them back on my wall!
                      http://www.haywardm.supanet.com/predators.html
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        the snails are a-breeding...mine are all quite small now, killed all the big buggers. When I started on my front garden (crumbling brick wall, lots of hidey holes) I found 100s of huge snails. Couldn't bear crunching them all underfoot, so I started slinging them onto the main road, thinking they'd have a quick death.
                        People were rescuing them! And putting them back on my wall!
                        http://www.haywardm.supanet.com/predators.html
                        You have all my sympathy Two-Sheds ,I hate sluggs /snails and everytime I see any snail slimming down the road my first instinct is to crunch them under foor but the thing which stops me from doing that is my little girls'screaming" You are so cruel Mummy"

Comment

Hi

I read in another message on this web site that dog hair and hair in general will stop slugs, although it wouldnt be practical everywhere.

Tiger

Comment

a couple of years ago when I lost a load of bedding plants overnight I put pellets down in my garden, the following day we were met with the horror of what my OH still refers to as the 'snailacide'. They must have come from the ends of the earth to eat my pellets and then die on my doorstep, it was very upsetting (I don't really like killing things but was very angry about my flowers) and disgusting because they all had to be shifted. We vowed not to use pellets again,especially as one of our cats does eat the slugs. Sharp sand around your precious plants does really limit the attacks but I reckon pellets just attracts them from everyone elses garden (could throw some pellets in your next door garden and send them that way).

Comment

I use the slug pellets that don't harm wildlife. I also have slow worms in the garden which I think help.
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X