Can you tell me what this weed is please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you tell me what this weed is please

I'm hopeless when it comes to giving weeds their names, so I hope somebody can help me please! This weed is growing in a space between the grass (can't call it a lawn!) and a step and it's really tough. I'd like to know if it'd be poisonous to my chooks, and how to get rid of it once and for all
    Attached Files
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

I'm not an expert, but it looks like ragwort.

Boiling water will kill it w/o chemicals.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-05-2009, 03:27 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

yup deffo ragwort and poisinous to chooks ... you could try cutting it down and pouring vinegar on it ... or salt ... it works with some weeds
      Last edited by lynda66; 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Yes, ragwort, I have spent many hours of my life pulling this up (it comes up very easily while small) On no account leave it to flower or you'll have "seven years weeding"

Comment

Thanks very much, you've been a fantastic help.
          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Oh Gawd Aunty Mo, it's the bane of my life. Highly poisonous to man and beast, works by killing the liver irrepairably. Can be permeable through skin too. I roundupped all my rag last year and barrier H'd it the previous one and still it comes back. Pull it (with gloves and a fork, burn it and curse the darned stuff. Any root remaining even tiny will regrow.........
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Jings, I've got some of that too - but thankfully not much. Never knew what it was called. Thank you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Also known as Stinking Willie!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Deffo ragwort to me hunny,

Ragwort (Senecio Jacobae) is a common poisonous weed; it can be found anywhere, from fields and private gardens to the road side. It is most dangerous for horses and livestock, and once ingested by them there is no cure.

Ragwort can grow anywhere; the only way to prevent livestock becoming ill from Ragwort poisoning is to control its growth. Ragwort flowers twice a year and each plant can produce up to 150,000 seeds. It will also re-grow if a part of the root is left behind in the soil, for this reason, control of Ragwort must be continuous.

The only way to get rid of Ragwort is to dig it up, making sure that you get as much of the root as possible. When digging it up you should make sure that you wear gloves. The best time to dig up Ragwort is before the plant has finished flowering and it will be easier to remove the whole plant if the ground is wet or if the plant is still immature.
                  Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X