Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how are everyone's weeds?

Hi all,

It seems that the good weather is benefiting my weeds a lot more than my veg! in a few weeks all of a sudden there is grass a foot high everywhere and weeds are blanketing my onion plot!

How is everyone tackling the weed problem? I was thinking of getting a hoe but my veg isn't really in straight lines so i'm not sure would it work.

Margaret

I picked 3/4 pound of dandelions from the lawn yesterday so that gives you some idea of the strength of that problem. The veg beds I go round each night and do a little bit of each one til it goes dark. So far the onion bed has been done twice, the bean bed once, the pots have yet to be done and the brassica bed and carrot bed been done once. I am still working on the rest of the 2 gardens as well and it's a full time job a bit like painting that bridge!
    If I walk past something and it catches my eye then I stop and pull them out Half an hour later OH calls to ask me if I am coming in for tea as I have got totally sidetracked and filled the trug with weeds lol. And it's usually dark by then

Comment

OH resorted to strimming the weeds from one of my beds at the weekend

We've also burned them off (put the smouldering stuff from our burning bin onto shorter weeds)

If there was a competition for growing weeds, I would win!!

However, I did find some (mouse-nibbled) landscape fabric at the back of the garage, so will be covering my weeded beds with that!!

Comment

Just back from our hols last night. After 16 days the dandelions have gone crazy. One section of grass that normally fills one bucket when cut weekly filled 5 today. On the upside, the Red Duke of York spuds I have in buckets have shot up too.

Comment

the only place ive got weeds is in front lawn out bk only got stuff in greenhouse floor but no weeds yet

Comment

GROWINGFast.....................
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

My weeds are doing very well thank you. Maybe I'll harvest and eat those instead ;-)

Comment

We've on target to have a bumper crop of dandelions. The neighbours chickens love them but even they seem to have had enough.

Comment

Can you believe it? - Our allotment has fancy tarmac haulingways, and its becoming covered in little lumps were maretails are pushing through!!!

How on earth are we to expect an organic mulch to suppress nature's jackhammer??!!

Comment

I'm wondering what weeds can be turned into soup- or wine!!!!

First nettle soup, dandilion salad...how about chickweed soup??

Chickweed Soup
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have never seen so many dandylions in one garden!!!, and am currently following the advice of cutting them out of the lawn, and sprinkling salt on top of the stump.....blummin things

Comment

If bindweed and thistles were edible I'd very very happy indeed.
                        I've finally got rid of all the ground elder in my garden, but the alkanet is taking over instead. I had to laugh when I saw some alkanet being sold at a plant sale last weekend -along with variegated ground elder!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X