Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you found an effective barrier for neighbours weeds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you found an effective barrier for neighbours weeds?

Hi,

I have a long thin garden which I moved into last year and cleared of rubbish, removed large conifers down both sides and put in fencing. I was really hoping to get some beds prepared and start growing this year but am having a lot of trouble with couch grass.

Dug it out last year and used roundup throughout the summer on new shoots but it has come back, have dug it out again over the last two weeks but I think I need to find a way of stopping it from coming in from next door. Both sides of me have couch grass lawns right up to the fence, I read that the roots don't run much deeper down than 4-6" so am now thinking it might be worth trying to sink a barrier into the soil along my fences to prevent it.

Have any of you tried this? I also need to think of something that will not rot too quickly and is cheap! I was thinking old roof slates might work, any thoughts on this would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Vine DillyDallyDaisy.
    Yes couch grass is a problem and the roots do go down about 6 inches.
    I think if you did dig a trench that depth (I would give it a little bit more to be safe) and put old slates - or anything else - in there, it would stop the invasion from next door.
    Good luck.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

You could try making a narrow V shaped ditch with a spade along the borders, then pushing in an impermeable membrane like plastic sheeting (old compost bags, split open and folded in half?). My previous allotment holder was very determined and actually sunk in some corrugated sheets about 12" into the soil.
      My 2014 No Dig Allotment
      My 2013 No Dig Allotment
      My 2012 No Dig Allotment
      My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

perhaps then if I put the slates in longside down and back it up with some strong plastic to stop any gaps between tiles, that might work. I think I will be phoning some roofing firms to see if I can get hold of old tiles. I am sure a barrier would help a lot as I was shocked how quickly it became spaghetti junction again.

It's funny you mentioned corrugated iron Lazgaot as I removed a load that had been dumped in the garden. Do you find it works or does it rust/break up quickly?

Comment

Couch grass might puncture plastic ... it certainly punctures carpet that I lay on my allotment.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X