New Zealand Flat Worm?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand Flat Worm?

Have noticed hundreds of black wormlike creatures in my compost bin.They are up to 2inch long, shiny black with a thin white stripe along their back. the pictures of flatworms I've seen are all much paler. Are these NewZealand Flatworms? I've got lots of earthworms. What can I do about them? Is there any new advice or do I have to notify anyone?

See if this helps Helen New Zealand Flatworm

Comment

Just found this....

"There are four types of earthworm that you may run into:

Nightcrawlers: 8 to 10 inches long and the fisherman's favourite.
      Garden Worms: 5 to 7 inches long and found commonly in damp soils.
      Manure Worms: 4 to 5 inches long and found in manure rich soils.
      Red Worms: 3 to 4 inches long and the most commercially available."

might be worth googling the images??
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Why not phone up your nearest large garden centre- and ask to speak to the head 'gardener'- and arrange to take a few to show him.
        If he's good at his job, he'll be able to advise you!
        ......and then whilst you're there......you could just nip along and check there aren't any seeds you've forgotten to buy...or some plugs of fruit or veg ...or..or.....
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Many hours were spent looking at images on the internet. I think i've got leeches!! erpobella octoculata, a freshwater leech.They were living in the moist wet warm layer underneath the bird feeders. I'm a bit confused tho' as i'm nowhere near a river. They may have come through the drain. I'm going to do more research as i want to be sure. Dont want to transfer them to the allotment. Anyone got any info on leeches? do they eat earthworms?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X