Ah, slugs!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah, slugs!

Well it was one small fat slug. I planted out my sunflower seeds undercover yesterday in DIY cloche type of things. However I checked them this morning and he had gotten under the bag and jumped on the leaf... I also had one in the open and he didn't go for that, I also laid slug pellets round the seedlings and some had seemed to gone so I dunno if the pellets done anything.
    Follow my garden and chilli growing project... @impatientgrower

get some strong alcohol, isopropyl alcohol ( isopropanol ), meths or similar, drip a tiny bit on them, they die in a few seconds, it works on snails as well
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Cloche - moist and warm - perfect home for slugs.
      If you use pellets, pop one (not handfuls) inside the cloche, to protect wildlife
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just a thought - road salt. If its anything like normal salt they will effervess before your eyes!

I've got loads. See a 4 x 4 trench going right round the potatoes as we speak. Job for OH tomorrow

Comment

I planted cabbages and peas the other day and forgot to put anything down ( got three traps with beer in ) and the blighters had eaten everything grrrrrrrrrrr
          Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
          and ends with backache

Comment

I am new here so please forgive if this has been said before.

Is copper a good weapon against slugs.I have been told that slugs will not cross over copper.I am looking into getting a greenhouse shortly and would probably make a `ring` of cooper piping on the inside of the house to create a barrier or will this not work,its just a thought.

Comment

copper tape works well, i use it on tree trunks ad around pots, so copper pipe would work i presume, they wont cross it,
              i still sprinkle slug pellets around anything and go out looking for them to pour alcohol on them to cut the numbers down as they will still get past the copper eventualy, just not as many cross it
              Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I'm getting a big sack of bran from a horsefeed place, cover all my beds in bran about 1" deep, helps retain water, the slugs and snails eat it and swell up. You still have to collect them and remove/destroy them, but the birds help with this too. I put mine in the "green" bin for the council compost heap, where I send all my woody cuttings and perrenial weeds such as dandelions etc.
                if you have a deep enough layer, it forms a sort of crust on top when watered (may need to scrape it away a bit to water in really dry times) so it doesn't all blow away. You have to keep it topped up, but it costs very little, and I just dig in any that is left on the soil at the end of the season. This and beer traps seems to do pretty well. I also keep Pumpkins etc on straw rather than tiles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X