Mythbusters: slugs v marigolds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythbusters: slugs v marigolds

Aaargh! I put 6 fairly big marigold seedlings in the greenhouse last Sunday. They were around 4 inches high with lots of leaves. And slugs have eaten them to the ground! Gutted! I thought they were supposed to repel slugs? I have now put more in surrounded by a deadly belt of slug pellets to see if they fair any better.

So in conclusion I'd have to say that Marigolds probably don't protect other plants from slugs as they can't even protect themselves! As a companion plant they must be a sacrifice!

Fingers crossed!
    Margaret
    Last edited by magz.mccarthy; 02-04-2009, 12:50 PM.

slugs love marigold we plant them so they eat them instead of the veg
    Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Slugs love marigolds. The idea is they eat the marigolds instead of your crops
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Darn, i totally got my wires crossed on that one.

Comment

The smell of the marigolds keeps the aphids away - maybe slugs have no noses?
          Never say never!

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander View Post
            They have no noses or anything else once I am done with em
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Yep, let your marigolds get as big as possible before planting out, gives them a fair crack of the whip...
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

If you've got slugs in the greenhouse I'd spend a decent amount of time hunting them down. Thats the last place you want slugs given the likely number of young plants.
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

alas the greenhouse is more like a blue peter childrens project. it was put together by the previous plot owner and is really a collection of old doors nailed together with occasional clear plastic patches for light to get in. It's more like a wildlife shelter really, so the only benefit of being inside is that it's slightly warmer. There were a number of toads hopping around in there on sunday. It's got real character though so it's a fixture worth holding onto.

Comment

Don't take the toads out! They'll eat the slugs.

Just in case
                    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander View Post
                      My slugs got no nose!

How does he smell?

TERRIBLE!!!

Yeah! I hate the old jokes as well

A seed company last year was giving a pack of French Marigold seed away with Tamina tomato seed "to keep the tomato plants pest free".
                      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Is there any difference between French and African marigolds, in respect to their attractivess to slugs?
                        aka Neil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X