Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats in compost bins

Hi all.

We have just noticed that we have a rat(s) in our compost bins.

We are not sure if they are actually nesting in them but they are definately going into them to eat the scraps we put in them, because there is a small hole where they have dug thier way in.

We have laid a trap down to try and catch one, like we did when we had rats eating our chicken feed.

Anyway our quuetion is.... will the compost be safe to use.

Obviousy the rats will be pooing and weeing all over the compost and as you know they carry Wials (spelling?) disease.

Thanks.

I suspect rats poo and wee all over everyone's garden all the time, unbeknownst to us. Your compost shouldn't be any more risk that that. I would stick the hose in it for a while. Next year, put a flooring of fine mesh chicken wire under your heap and put the bin on that.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery.

Did'nt think of putting wire mesh under them
      Last edited by Mike and Louise; 30-03-2009, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
        I Next year, put a flooring of fine mesh chicken wire under your heap and put the bin on that.
        I am really worried about rats

I have just got my first plastic darlik type compost bin and want to get cracking with it. After reading the posts on here I decided to use chicken wire as a floor.

But now I someone has told me its not strong enough to keep rats out.

HELP - I HATE RATS

Comment

It will. It won't keep foxes out of a run, but the fine mesh wire will keep rats out.

Comment

Are there different mesh sizes of chicken wire?

Sorry as you can tell I dont know much about chicken wire .......yet :-)

Comment

Yes. I use stuff from ASDA - the hexagons are small.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                Yes. I use stuff from ASDA - the hexagons are small.
                Thank you Flummery - I will look into it further

Comment

Originally posted by Mike and Louise View Post
                  Hi all.

We have just noticed that we have a rat(s) in our compost bins.

We are not sure if they are actually nesting in them but they are definately going into them to eat the scraps we put in them, because there is a small hole where they have dug thier way in.

We have laid a trap down to try and catch one, like we did when we had rats eating our chicken feed.

Anyway our quuetion is.... will the compost be safe to use.

Obviousy the rats will be pooing and weeing all over the compost and as you know they carry Wials (spelling?) disease.

Thanks.
                  The compost will be fine if worked into your soil but I would not use it in pots or for seedlings. Either way it would be best to wear waterproof gloves and wash your hands afterwards with a good medicated soap. Whilst I agree with the previous post which said rats will have run over most gardens the problem with rats in the compost bin is that the effulent is much more concentrated and warm thus providing the optimal growth conditions for bacteria/viruses.

Please note if you are forced to use rat poison to deal with this it is essential you do not use the compost for veg/fruit as the toxins will carry across into your food!

Regards

Kitchen gardener

Comment

Hi
                    I've got weldmesh under my dalek compost bins but with the ground not being even enough they've managed to get in one tiny bit. The other bin was more successful but then they chewed a hole in it and drag stuff out that way....
                    I keep soaking it with water so I think they're on a day trip rather that living in it.
                    Someone did recommend to me to soak a loaf of bread in wallpaper paste and then leave it in the compost heap. won't harm the heap but does unspeakable things to rat's insides. Not had the heart to try it yet.
                    Sue

Comment

A neighbouring allotment tenant contracted Weil's disease some years ago. He believes that this was from contact with contaminated waste in one of his sheds where he knew that rats were a problem. He has had years of treatment.

I think that if you observe common sense good hygiene practices your compost will be OK but make sure that your wear proper impermeable gloves and that you wash your hands thoroughly after handling the material. I always keep a bottle of anti-bacterial handwash at the allotment and always use this, for example, before making a cuppa or eating.

There is loads of information on the web about Weil's disease - for example, Leptospirosis Information Center

I have 'Dalek' compost bins and have steel mesh on the bottom. No signs of vermin having got through this.
                      Last edited by Gwyndy; 31-03-2009, 11:14 PM.
                      Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X