Is this ground elder? Pics attached

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this ground elder? Pics attached

I saw this and thought it was ground elder, but after checking a few online images, I'm no longer so certain. Can anyone confirm my guess or if wrong, tell me what it is?
    Attached Files

Oh dear! looks very much like it. If you dig down and find a mass of white roots that are running, then your guess is confirmed.

Comment

Thanks jogette. I'll have a dig around this afternoon. I see it's edible, so it might not go straight to waste...

Comment

I reckon it is. However, it's got a gorgeous flower! As good as the ones I was growing from seed (ammi majus) so now I let it grow!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

It looks like ground elder to me Growem. If you want to be rid of it it's difficult to dig out as it has masses of roots and any little bit left will regrow. If you're prepared to use Glyphosphate in that area then it will give in after 2 or 3 applications.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Ah! So thats whats invading, and has been invading, my back garden from my neighbours for the last few years. Yep, Ive been digging it up and trying to get all its roots, but must have had it for the last 15 years or so! It didnt really matter until last year when I revamped my back garden and made it into a cottage garden.
            Good thing is, at least I know what it is now, and will keep treating it accordingly. Shame I cant put weedkiller down - it will kill all my lovely flowers as well.
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
              Shame I cant put weedkiller down - it will kill all my lovely flowers as well.
              just use a small paint brush and 'paint' the leaves with round up, no need to spray and kill everything just target the bad guys
              Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
              Bob Dylan

Comment

Or just pull up the leaves and eat it! Downsizer: for a sustainable & ethical future - Ground Elder Recipes - Eat Your Way to Eradicating a Troublesome Weed I think ground elder omelette is on the menu for breakfast tomorrow...
                Last edited by Growem; 22-03-2009, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowyon View Post
                  just use a small paint brush and 'paint' the leaves with round up, no need to spray and kill everything just target the bad guys
                  Never thought of that! watch out you horrible little weed! not you kernowyon! and no thanks, dont fancy eating it! My goodness, if it does that to the soil, fancy what it would do to your insides!
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X