Moles

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moles

I think we may have moles in the field...

Quite a few little soil heaps dotted around

Do we have to get an official mole-catcher in?

Don't think so, we just bought one of those little traps, took a few attempts but we caught it in the end ... we were hoping to take the humane approach at first but as it started to head to his koi pond we had to take action !!! a hole in his liner would not have been much fun.

Nat

Comment

The traps are more humane than the stuff the mole-catcher would use...Strychnine!!!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hearing about moles always brings to mind the Jasper Carrot sketch about moles in his lawn, when he ends up sat on a rotating bar stool with a torch and shotgun............. Sorry, shouldnt laugh but always stitches me up!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

I always think of that too Lol!!!

What you should do OWG is go into the feild with a bucket & collect the mole hills & bag it up as it is good for making John Innes compost with if you haven't got a turf stack
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Hi OWG
            Right now, grapes everywhere are just waiting for me to say shoot 'em - no need to but get yourself a shotgun - if you don't have one, find a friend with one, then trace the molehills to the freshest one you can find, and discharge a cartridge into it at point blank range - you don't need accuracy - the percussion of the blast does the work - either will kill it outright if the little bugger's close enough, or will drive him away. Either way, no mess or bodies to clean up
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, that would definately do it sewer rat!!!!Lol

Might make a mess of the lawn though!
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Shoot things??? Like anyone would trust me with a loaded weapon!

Luckily the moles are in the field, not the lawn... will collect up the molehills though - never thought of that!

Will try and find a willing friend with a shotgun....

Comment

Be careful with the molehills.......I know someone who collected them for his leek trench............first rains and it went like a block of concrete! He had to almost chisel the leeks out! Lol

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just re-read the whole thread (as I should have done before I posted) and realised Nic had suggested molehill soil for potting compost which is a great, excellent, super idea which I fancy trying myself!
                    Because its so fine, if used by itself though it sets like concrete. In fact if you add straw to it and moisten it, form it into bicks you could build your own mud hut!

Phew, managed to wangle my way out of that quite well I hope!!!!!!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry, just caught up and my immediate thought was Jasper Carrot!! Like the new photo OWG - who is the handsome chap or chapess? Dexterdog
                      PS saw in the victorian kitchen (a very old TV programme) that they used to use the soil from molehills for compost for mushrooms.
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Here's a good question for the grapes!

How far can a mole tunnel in a day?????

This was a question on the local radio recently and I know the answer but I aint telling yet.!!!

The answer is in feet by the way

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Go on Snadger! do tell! DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Miles judging by the state of our garden snadger
                            If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
                            Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Bibliobeck View Post
                              Miles judging by the state of our garden snadger
                              No its not 63,360 inches!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X