Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Hi all

I keep finding little yellowy orange balls in soil and compost. They are hard and seem to have liquid inside when squashed. My question is what are they? I do not use slow release plant feed balls although they look a bit like these and they don't turn up everywhere. They don't even turn up around the same plants all the time.

Are they some sort of egg? If so should I be worried? I haven't noticed any particular problems but that doesn't mean anything.

All advice gratefully received.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

we have theese too, dont know what they are either.
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

We've got them as well - don't know what they are but pick them out just in case!

Comment

its not slug eggs as the they are clear & close to the base of plants. i also come across them & was told they were probably fertiliser of some sort?? i dont use anything that looks like them balls & dont knowif i should squash them or leave alone. any advice would be shared here

Comment

Sometimes when you buy plants from nurseries or garden centres they will have potted them with some slow release food granules in the compost (a couple of places near me do) so it could be that if they are near plants you have bought in & some composts come with food in also. If it's not this though & you're worried just try & pick as many out as you can & dispose of them.
          Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I must admit this sounds rather strange! Could anyone put a photo on the Vine so we can have a butchers? dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Little orange/yellow balls

Hi All. I found these in soil at the weekend and was wondering the same. After reading all your posts I think they are almost definately a slow release fertilizer as I found them when digging up a rose that had been in situ about two years, not seen them anywhere else in my garden.

Comment

The thing is I am finding them in things I have propagated and potted up myself and the last lot around a clary sage plant that has been in situ for two years and where there weren't any last year. I don't use any slow release fertilizer pellets in any of the composts I use as I prefer to use a liquid feed, usually seaweed based. I am happy to pick them out but would prefer to know what they are just in case they are best left. I am hopeless with the photo thingy so might have to rely on someone else to post one but will try.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi,
                  I've seen something like you describe. They are in my worm farm, so maybe they are worm eggs?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X