field mice love my seedlings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• field mice love my seedlings

I've got a polytunnel but field mice decimated every seedling so I've got no winter greens and I had problems through the summer too. Are there any humane repellants? I tried peppermint and moth balls! Any other ideas? We are surrounded by fields. Moving isn't an option!

Kathy have you got electricity in your polytunnel?
    [

Comment

I've also had problems with field mice eating my tomatoes and peppers - they probably like the warm too as I've got some heat in there. Bought a humane trap to catch them and then take them for a 5 mile drive to let them find a new home. This does work, but of course you need to keep re-baiting and checking the trap - they're partial to chocolate spread!

Comment

mice

wormwood (artemisia) if planted in the seed row deters mice slugs & snails & an infusion of the leaves is a general insecticide .its a perenial ,bearing tiny yellow flowers and a very bitter taste,could be something to try,

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay
          Kathy have you got electricity in your polytunnel?
          Thanks for reply. No, I haven't but I might be able to do something about that.

Comment

Mice in my polytunnel

Thanks for reply. I'll try that!

QUOTE=j.flett]
            wormwood (artemisia) if planted in the seed row deters mice slugs & snails & an infusion of the leaves is a general insecticide .its a perenial ,bearing tiny yellow flowers and a very bitter taste,could be something to try, [/QUOTE]

Comment

Kathy when you get electricity you could buy an electronic sonic mice and pest scarer.
              [

Comment

sonic mice scarer

Thanks for the suggestion of the electronic scarer. I've been asking around but haven't found anyone that's used one. Do they generally work? has anybody out there tried one?

Comment

we have one in the house, we had mice the other year in the sitting room and kitchen aswell as the loft and shed, now we have a electronic scarer and they dont come into the kitchen or sittingroom or rest of house, we only find a few in the loft but mainly in the shed where they eat bulbs and bird food

Comment

I suppose you could encourage a local farm cat to do their bit by growing cat-mint! Mind you- the thought of a tom cat spraying everywhere could put you off. How good is your sense of smell?
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I used an electronic trap, the ones that wail, it's great - has kept off most pests and has a wide target area (battery operated, so I know when it needs new batteries - the cats come back!). Or you could use humane traps - but they will find their way back. Try the electronic sensors first, they may work and be worth it.

Andrewo

Try this:
                      http://www.queenswood.co.uk/acatalog...ml&CatalogBody
                      or electronic
                      http://www.sortoutyourgarden.com/aca...ntrol_375.html

You can probably find them cheaper.

Andrewo
                      Last edited by Lesley Jay; 22-04-2006, 07:36 PM.
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo
                      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Thanks Dragonz-what kind of price did you pay/any specifications you could let me have? there seems a big difference in price out there! Nicos, the cat idea is a no-no because of the birds we encourage! Thanks anyway. Hard to please aren't I?

Comment

Andrewo,
                          Thanks for the links. Have bouught an electronic one for in the house-will report back on how it goes. I'm still thinking about one for the polytunnel-I can't make a decision. The stick ones that are supposed to scare off moles look a possibility.

Comment

I read in another forum that you can put dishes of neat anti-freeze down. This kills them & the ones it doesn't are basically drunk and can be disposed of with a spade

Sounds a bit gruesome to me but there you go, I suppose it depends if you wan't to stop things or get revenge!!!
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief
                              I read in another forum that you can put dishes of neat anti-freeze down. This kills them & the ones it doesn't are basically drunk and can be disposed of with a spade

Sounds a bit gruesome to me but there you go, I suppose it depends if you wan't to stop things or get revenge!!!
                              The only thing I'd be worried about this if there are pets and young children in the area. You don't want a neighbour on your doorstep saying that their tiddles came home and exploded in the kitchen, or young Bobby was playing in your garden and fell head first into a dish of something fishy...
                              Best wishes
                              Andrewo
                              Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X