Gutted

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gutted

Okay, so I may never be Member of the Month - being a relative newcomer to the veggie-growing thing, I tend to be a follower of good advice rather than a dispenser of it. But maybe I could be Sob Story of the Month?

Here's the sad story of my fledgling veggie patch. After moving to my new house, I started bright and early in late winter, spending many, many hours turning over soil and digging up weeds. I planned all the beds out, worked out a rotation scheme, ordered my seeds and sowed things when I supposed to. Then I found that I had a big problem with leatherjackets, resulting in me having to re-sow many plants in July. I've been watching these seedlings grow steadily, and felt happy I might get some return, even though everything was happening quite late.

Then I got back home late on Saturday night after bing away on holiday, to find that sheep had broken into the garden and eaten the lot. Beans, peas, cabbages, salad crops, beetroot, jerusalem artichokes, everything apart from the tatties and onions. All that hard work, just wasted.

I hoped that by sharing this sad tale with you, I might get some kind words in return? I really need it, please cheer me up!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Oh Birdie Wife that really is dreadful. Look forward to next years harvest and this autumn build a barrier around your veg patch so that if the sheep do get in to your garden again they will not get the vegetables.

You have got spuds and onions still and they will taste gorgeous!
    [

Comment

Oh no! How heartbreaking. Is there nothing you can salvage? If you grow some quick crops and sow for spring you may not feel so awful as not getting anything to eat from all your hard work. Anything still got any leaf left? If the root's still in some leafy green salads will come up again and will be edible in about 3 weeks.
      You could also sow a few things now to get something to harvest.
      How about some radishes, spinach, Chard and Raab? They're all quick growers which can be eaten young. When's your first frost date? have you got seeds? If not I'm sure everyone would rally round and send you some. I'd be happy to.
      How about sending off for a few seedlings from one of the online nurseries and getting them in?
      I just think you'll feel better looking out at something growing than devastation. Pesky sheep.
      Have roast Lamb for dinner and go out and wave the bones at them.

Comment

Hi PT,
        First frost up here is usually around early October, which is why I didn't think I had time to plant anything that wasn't winter-hardy. I'll have a go at some over-wintering broad beans and peas to get a head start on next year. Most of the roots have been pulled up too. Unfortunately, now the sheep know there's juicy goodies in the garden, they're jumping over the wall every day to have a go. I spent all yesterday raising the wall and lowereing the ground level on the other side, and they're still getting in. They even munched our fledgling bonsai collection. Argh!! It'll be mutton stew if they don't stop their antics very VERY soon.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Maybe run some wire fencing along?
          Early October gives you about 4 weeks I guess. you'd get cut and come again salad in 3 weeks and radish leaves and baby spinach by then too.
          These people still have cabbages, Kale and Broccoli plants at reasonable prices for winter eating and plenty of other things which will be ready for spring. Not going to make up for losing everything you've grown from scratch but you could restock enough to have something at least.

http://www.growersorganics.com/veg.php
          Let us know if you need seeds . I've got plenty spare. Probably alright to sow turnips still too. Don't give up!

Comment

I've got spare too if you need some. Post upi what you need and I'll havea look and see if I have some
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

As you drive past the flock of sheep, wind the window down and shout "MINT SAUCE" That;ll sicken em

Sorry about that, the old ones are usually the best
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

OMG

Thats terrible, i swear i will never winge and moan again about my veggies ...ok not too much ... whos sheep are they ???

Nat

Comment

Sorry to hear your news - I'd be tempted to go and have a word with the sheeps owner if they got through his boundary it's his fault. I know he can't replace your crops but the least he could do is give you one of the culprits for Sunday lunch!

Comment

Totally Agree !!

Comment

I agree too - the onus is on the owner of the sheep to make sure that they can't get out of their field! Unless of course they are your sheep!

So sorry to hear your news, it is bad enough when the cabbage whites eat the cabbage, but to lose everything like that is awful.

Don't give up, have a word with the sheep's owners and see if they won't at least sort out the field so that they can't get it. Perhaps they might even offer to get you some seedlings in - you never know!

Comment

Birdie Wife - so sorry to hear your news, I'll never winge (well, not as much!) about my caterpillars and slugs. Hope you can salvage something out of this horrible situation - have you spoken to the owner of the sheep? Let everyone know how you get on. Good luck dexterdog
                        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

OK....this IS awfull and I can imagine how you feel..( maybe not quite!)
                          You really need to speak with the owners of the sheep.

The owner's sheep should be contained ..and you are entitled to compensation if you can prove what you have lost.
                          The trouble is...do you really want to get into hostilities with your farmer neighbour over what would be concieved as a small number of crops?? ( to you , me , and all the others on the site...perceive as our years hard work and produce). Accidents DO happen and he may be horrified/ashamed at the damage done by his livestock.

It may be prudent to speak with him gently and see what his response is....you may actually end up striking a friendship with him which is a win win situation for both of you!! (..manure ..meat...use of his land if you wish to extend your patch.) Farmers are often bemused and respect our efforts to tame the land and are happy to 'trade favours' ( off the record of course!!)
                          However he could be an absolute ****... I think you need to feel your way on this one!

So far this year ...you win my vote for the 'best ' disaster!!! and I really do feel for you. You must not let this put you off growing your own veg ( I think you are very closely followed by the 'badgers rampant orgy' mentioned on another thread!!
                          This could be a bonus for you depending on the farmer and how you handle it!

I'll never be MOM either so perhaps we can
                          start our own sect within the site eh???
                          Last edited by Nicos; 05-09-2006, 05:33 PM.
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Birdie wife
                            I am absolutely gutted for you - this virgin season in your new place has been beset with problems and just when you thought it was looking salvageable ( ), these freakin' sheep jump the wall and chow down.
                            Nicos is partially right - the onus is on both the owner of the boundary fence / wall to ensure that it is fit for the purpose it is intended - in this case that it is stockproof, and, if a different person, on the owner of the stock that caused the damage.
                            I would approach the landowner first and see what he/she says - especially if the sheep are now continually raiding your garden - the boundary needs to be repaired - and repaired well, as once sheep know where the weak spot is they will continue to abuse it - people (myself as an ex -shepherd included) say that sheep are the stupidest of animals, but they are good at one thing - escaping from fields - and dying for no apparent reason too.
                            Let us know how you get on - Just remembered - I have a book on Agricultural and Landowner Law - I will consult and return with more !
                            Rat

British by birth
                            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Birdie wife
                              Had a look so here goes- the book is titled "Essential Law for Landowners and Farmers" by Gregory and Parrish (needed it for my coursework as an agricultural student in the 80's)

The statute which seems to cover this case is the Animals Act 1971. This is a direct lift from the section of the book titled "Straying Livestock"
                              "The 1971Act imposes strict liability for damage done to land or property on land (though not for personal injuries) by trespassing livestock (s.4) Livestock here means cattle, horses, asses, mules, hinnies, sheep, pigs, goats, poultry, and deer not in the wild state (s.11)
                              If the damage is the fault of the person suffering it, there is no liability, but it must be remembered that in the absence of of an express obligation to the contrary, it is the occupiers responsibility to keep in his own animals, and not his neighbours duty to fence them out"

There you go, it's his fault, he's liable under law to recompense you.
                              Fill yer boots - small compensation I know, but at least it may ensure that the sheep are well fenced in in the future
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X