mole/rat advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mole/rat advice

Could someone please advise me on the following problem. On my allotment (which is in a rural situation) I have a mole which regularly burrows around my paths and beds. He has only appeared since autumn, so there are only winter veg in at present, but I am worried about the potential damage when new stuff is planted. I also have something burrowing in both my black plastic composters, which although having been in place since spring dont seem to want to "start". Is this likely to be a mole, or more likely rats? I dont object to killing rats but dont really want to kill moles. Thanks in anticipation. P
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

We have moles on our lottie- and their tunnels do some damage causing plants roots above to die off ( I don't think they eat them).
    I'm sure it will be rats or mice in the compost, but it could be some other form of wildlife such as voles. Would you want to kill those off???
    Have a look and see if you can see any droppings- that would be a guide as to what it is. ( are there any holes? 1" hole is likely to be a mouse- 2"+ hole a rat.)
    Last edited by Nicos; 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Definately 2 inch plus tunnels in the composters, and I thought they were rats as I believe they might be nesting under the shed. Any way of frightening the moles away?

Comment

Urmmm...was it Scarey who spent weeks researching this last year????

Comment

I dont know, was it?

Comment

I'm hoping someone will remember

Comment

I have had some success in getting rid of moles. It is not a permenant solution but does seem to keep them away for a few months.

Dig down through the mole hill to expose the tunnel. Fill tunnel with contents of cat litter tray and cover with soil. Pelleted chicken manure seems to work as well. (Certainly easier to handle than soiled cat litter.)

You may have to repeat the process over a period of a few days but it really does seem to work and poses no threat to the mole.
              It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

I`ll certainly try the chicken manure pellets, the used cat litter might be a bit harder to come by!

Comment

Originally posted by snuffer View Post
                  I have had some success in getting rid of moles. It is not a permenant solution but does seem to keep them away for a few months.
                  I had a mole at the counter this morning. I got rid of it though

Comment

Could always follow this guys advice

YouTube - Jasper Carrott - The Mole - Animated
                    NKP1962
                    The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
                    Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

I have a mole on my lottie too, have put coloured windmills on poles sunk into mole hills, seem to be doing trick,also the mole hills make fab really finely tilled soil for use with seedlings. Figure it was his crib before i took on the lottie so just trying to live with the little guy at the moment.
                      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X