Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“If something is not eating your plants…….

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “If something is not eating your plants…….

…then your garden is not part of the ecosystem.”

I read this somewhere and it’s pretty spot on isn’t it?

Its just really about damage limitation.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Good quote, Nicos.
    Definitely a big part of the ecosystem here then...
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

I completely agree. I would much prefer a battlefield between the goodies and the baddies than a bug free desert. I was reminded of last summer I think it was, when my globe artichokes were absolutely smothered in blackfly, I'd never seen an infestation like it. I was resigned to losing them and cutting them down, but as always with me, life got too busy and it was a few days later when I went down to cut them down and to my amazement there wasn't a single blackfly in sight, every single artichoke was clean and sat on some leaves were ladybirds.
      I may have holes in the leaves of lots of plants, but my garden and greenhouses are filled with the sound and sight of so many insects it more than makes up for it.
      That said I will continue to shake off and try to squash those pesky bright green hoppy thrip things on my peppers!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I remember years ago,I was looking at my lettuce thinking why has nothing touched it,nothing has had a little bite of it,then I thought it must be bad or something

Comment

When we first moved here I bought two globe artichoke plants. We watered them well every day for a week and suddenly, one day , there was absolutely nothing there!
          We had a rummage around only to find we’d planted them amongst a large maze of vole tunnels. Yup - you guessed - they must have had a midnight feast calling in all their family and friends.
          Same thing happened to the tulips and clematis planted nearby. Rotters.

No point in fighting with them - they were there before me

Now then…that pesky hare eating all my strawberries this year. Well…. He/ she is rather sweet and just sits watching Hibou who just sits watching him/her. Funnily enough although Hibou (cat) is a real hunter , I’ve never seen her chase a hare, maybe she’s already tried and given up.
          Last edited by Nicos; 04-08-2022, 01:47 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

A neighbours rabbit got in our garden once,it was big,went straight for my strawberry plants coincidently,our cat just followed it around,I knocked at the neighbours house I was worried & she wasn’t worried,I was saying our cat looked like it was going to jump on it but she said it’ll be alright,the rabbit eventually left the way it came in through a hole in the fence. Maybe the rabbits big feet are a bit scary for a cat,the way they kick their feet I don’t know?

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
              A neighbours rabbit got in our garden once,it was big,went straight for my strawberry plants coincidently,our cat just followed it around,I knocked at the neighbours house I was worried & she wasn’t worried,I was saying our cat looked like it was going to jump on it but she said it’ll be alright,the rabbit eventually left the way it came in through a hole in the fence. Maybe the rabbits big feet are a bit scary for a cat,the way they kick their feet I don’t know?
              We have a raised garden area directly in front of one window like a threatre stage and one day saw two long fluffy ears twitching part hidden by long grass which tickled me pink as wild rabbits rarely visit. The reason however soon became clear when it was promptly stalked, captured and carried away by a cat.
              Growing on north facing mid weight shallow topsoil, clay subsoil in Falmouth, Cornwall

Comment

That must’ve been horrible to see,I’ve always wondered about that (with our cat & the rabbit). Thinking back,our cats face was very predator,staring at the rabbit,working out how,cats are very sneaky. Good it wasn’t here long,their rabbit’s a big white & grey floppy eared one

Comment

A mix of horror for rabbit and awe at cat pounce if recall. Rabbit did look young and significantly smaller than cat so perhaps your neighbour's rabbit is safe. Am keen on my many neighbour's cats visiting on the whole as brassicas and worms get a much welcome break though of course so will certain pest larva too.
                  Growing on north facing mid weight shallow topsoil, clay subsoil in Falmouth, Cornwall

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X