Allium leaf miner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allium leaf miner

There is approx 80 allotment plots on our site in Jarrow, Tyne and Wear. In the last 3 weeks everyone has lost their Onions, most have lost Garlic etc. Its heartbreaking to see. All the hardwork put in by everyone. We have a few irons in the fire to defeat the pest including mesh.
    Anyone else had problems?

Luckily no, must be so heart breaking, never had the problem so can offer no solutions.
    Allium leaf miner / RHS Gardening

Comment

I get leek moth, but I've thankfully never had allium leaf miner.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
        Luckily no, must be so heart breaking, never had the problem so can offer no solutions.
        Allium leaf miner / RHS Gardening
        I stopped growing leeks because of this its really disheartening.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

So sorry it's spread to your area, we've had it since 2014. The first three years are worse but unfortunately once you have it it sticks around. We now have to grow all alliums under extra fine mesh (eg. Enviromesh Ultrafine).
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Feedback. Its now attacked everyones leeks and they are now out of the ground and burnt. So sad to see.

Comment

Too late now but with ally miner and leek moth if you can catch it before the maggots / caterpillars get too far down the stems (and providing the female has stopped laying) simply cut the leek off at ground level to remove the pests and the leek will regrow.
              With garlic the miner pupae sit in the paper between the cloves. Makes it a bit messy in the kitchen but the garlic is still edible.
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X