Fruit fly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit fly

Does anyone know anything about fruit fly? do they lay eggs or maggots? where do they live? on the fruit? how do make sure they dont get into your wine? seem to have a problem with them keep turning up in our kitchen compost bucket, it gets cleaned weekly and has a lid, any ideas?
    bob
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Are these the tiny little things. I have similar problems. They seem to just pop into being everywhere. I have however noticed that in the bags/bins waiting to go to the lottie where kitchen waste is "layered" and I use the term loosely with cleanings from the rabbit hutch that they do not appear. However this doesn't unfortunately solve your problem. I have tried adding tea tree oil to our little kitchen waste box to no avail. Don't know if cedarwood would work as cedar balls are supposed to deter moths etc. Will try it and let you know.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Fruit flies will only reproduce on damaged/rotting fruit so if you make sure there's none around your problem disappears. People often mistake sciarid flies for fruit flies but these live wherever there is standing water. Happy swatting!

Comment

no standing water near the house, some in the lottie for the ducks but they and the chucks are pretty good at eating the flies there.
        there is allways damaged fruit at this time of year, its brewing season after all.
        may have to ban OH from making any more beer or wine, ooh, but that means i wont have any,
        maybe just stuck with them.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...