Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs - salvaging sweetpeas in a planter

Come on, what's your best repellant ?
    I don't use slug pellets but currently considering them.
    One old wood planter with sunflowers (no more) and sweetpeas(fast being demolished) is getting the most hit.
    Last edited by Containergardener; 14-06-2021, 09:00 AM.
    Northern England.

I use Doff Slug & Snail Killer (ferric phosphate). I wouldn't have much of a garden without them. I've also got copper tape to go around pots.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Could you put them in a plastic planter? if there is any rotting wood in the planter, the slugs could be living in that?

Is there much twiggery/old leaves etc on the top of it, if you can scrape that off and re-cover with sieved compost, again, that takes away more slug habitat encouragement.

Also, could you put a moat round it - ie put it in a wide bowl with the pot standing on bricks, then fill the bowl with water so that it reaches just up to base of the plant pot.

Comment

^^^ They've been in a while now . Don't want to move them . Too heavy to move . It will be its last planting session.
        I've got grit on the top of the compost .
        Northern England.

Comment

Ive been planting in the day & checking them at night. Could you check them at night with a torch you’ll find them eating the same plants they were eating last night. It’s very successful . Or sprinkle a circle of sand around the plants,just a little or beer traps.

Comment

I'm out night and early morning . Catching some but obviously more appear when im asleep. We have open fields behind so
            I have sand I will try that.
            Northern England.

Comment

I tried crushed eggshells once,heat them in the oven for a few minutes after you’ve cooked your meal,turn the oven off & just put them on a baking tray to heat while the ovens still hot,they crush up better this way,you need a lot of them tho,the tiny slugs were travelling in the gaps,they are good tho if you’ve got loads.
              Last edited by Jungle Jane; 14-06-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

It's weird . Never had problem on this planter so much.
                I have sweetpeas in various pots and troughs not bothered.
                Even have them in the ground not attacked. Sunflowers in ground not bothered elsewhere either.
                Northern England.

Comment

The planter might have had slug eggs in there before planting,I usually squash them when I find them,I have a lot of centipedes in my pots,they’re good eating the slug eggs.

Comment

Ah hadn't thought of that .
                    I think il offer them some nice young lettuce tonight too. See if I can tempt them
                    Northern England.

Comment

I forgot to put down the salad but sand and garlic instead.
                      No nibbles this morning
                      Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X