Can anyone identifying these please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identifying these please

Just found lots of these in last years pots through out the compostand a bit worried, found not all together but spread out and lots of them pots had onions, celery, turnips in, can't find anything on Internet that looks the same

The photo is a bit blurred (although that may just be my eyesight ) but they look like leatherjackets? Maybe check them against this picture
    https://www.amentsoc.org/insects/glo...leather-jacket

Someone may come along with more info hopefully.
    East Berkshire

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

Looks like a kind of little fly pupa,is that 4mm? Bit small for crane fly I don’t know?

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        Looks like a kind of little fly pupa,is that 4mm? Bit small for crane fly I don’t know?
        No, that's 4/16 of an inch.
        I think you're right about fly pupae, though. They're definitely pupae of some sort, anyway.
        Definitely not crane fly pupae, though. Those are the same size as leather jackets, and look rather like a sort of fossilised leather jacket.

Comment

Could they be Vine weevil pupae.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
            Could they be Vine weevil pupae.
            No, vine weevil pupae, like most beetle pupae, have noticeable (albeit non-functional) legs).

Those sorts of featureless tubes with horizontal banding are almost always the pupae of true fly species of some sort.

Comment

They’re not some sort of onion fly overwintering I hope? Did you have any little maggots in any of the onions you grew last year? If you didn’t then it probably isn’t them.

Comment

Allium leaf miner pupae? They pupate in the soil apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Primrose View Post
                  Allium leaf miner pupae? They pupate in the soil apparently.
                  Ally miner pupae are dark reddish brown, about 3mm long and more sausage shaped rather than plump

Found a link to the RHS https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=643
                  Last edited by Mr Bones; 02-04-2021, 06:46 AM. Reason: Add RHS link
                  Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated, I’m thinking they are onion fly eggs now, luckily in pots so all compost is getting double bagged then in the bin I’m thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgieduje View Post
                      Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated, I’m thinking they are onion fly eggs now, luckily in pots so all compost is getting double bagged then in the bin I’m thinking.
                      Those are not anything eggs. They are far too large.
                      They could be onion fly pupae, though. Onion fly pupae are usually darker than that, but colours can vary.

Comment

Eggs, pupa and larvae make good wild bird food. Spread the compost out on a piece of plastic outside, and your local robin will sort it out.

Remember please that there is no such place as 'away' - so throwing things away just means moving whatever it is somewhere-else - we only have one world.
                        Last edited by nickdub; 12-04-2021, 12:33 PM.

Comment

They appear to be Fly pupae possibly Black soldier fly Hermetia (illucens) https://www.theguardian.com/environm...armed-creature
                          Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

Good call, stevejelf. I had those flies a lot in warmer parts of Spain and the pupae look just like that. Always in compost so probably not a pest of plants or roots. They probably do a good job in breaking down compost so a friendly rather than an enemy.

And yes, birds will love them if you want to get rid of them.

But good on you for asking, hodgieduje. Got to be careful not to kill off the good guys. I hang my head in shame on that score. Took me a while to distinguish ladybird eggs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X