Yuk! Something living in my marrow...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuk! Something living in my marrow...

I picked my biggest marrow to cook today, cut it open and found...

woodlice! Dozens of them!

I suppose it already has a protein filling...
    You are a child of the universe,
    no less than the trees and the stars;
    you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Eughhhh.....!

One to add to the recipe collection....?

Comment

I hate those things. They seem to just suddenly invade something and eat it alive. I found loads of them squirming all over a nice little strawberry plant yesterday. They destroy the roots too which is worse. One year they totally destroyed my two pumpkin plants.
      I wonder if there's an organic way to get rid of them?

Comment

H F-W says they tasted a bit like shrimps when boiled... maybe you could make a marrow and shrimp surprise?? The surprise being the shrimp content
        Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
          H F-W says they tasted a bit like shrimps when boiled... maybe you could make a marrow and shrimp surprise?? The surprise being the shrimp content
          Eeeeeeuw!!

Comment

A much as I love H F-W and all his stuff - not too sure about woodlice stuffed marrows! What a shame. Better luck next time. dexterdog
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Fortunately they only nested in one. Chucked it in the compost.
              On a related topic - anyone got a recipe that makes marrow actually taste of something?

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

The reason they taste like shrimps is they are Shrimps well relatives anyway. They just evolved into land critters but I think they still need moisture to breed (bit like land crabs)
                ntg
                Never be afraid to try something new.
                Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                ==================================================

Comment

Used to like prawns until someone told me the other day they were kin to woodlice!

Comment

I wouldn't eat snails ... but I quite happily eat cockles etc
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Can't stand snails! In the garden or on my plate - don't like mussels, oysters etc either, but love prawns, lobster, crab and fish!

Comment

Marrow recipe

On a related topic - anyone got a recipe that makes marrow actually taste of something?[/QUOTE

The best is not to allow marrows to reach maturity. However mature marrows and pumpkins can be skinned and sliced, fry both side till almost cooked finish them off with sugar, salt, vinegar and chopped fresh mint till the cooking liquid is reduced. Serve at room temperature or cold. This is a popular dish in Sicily but pumpking is used. I tried it with marrow, the taste is very close so I presume that this cooking method applies to any squashes.
                        Regards
                        Don Vincenzo

Comment

Originally posted by heebiejeebie View Post
                          Fortunately they only nested in one. Chucked it in the compost.
                          On a related topic - anyone got a recipe that makes marrow actually taste of something?
                          This was cooked for me by an Italian friend.
                          Peel deseed and half lengthways. Slice into thick chunky slices. Chuck in a lidded heavy duty saucepan with glop of olive oil and a lump of butter. Add some horseradish sauce, salt and pepper to taste and saute. Turn heat right down and give it a shake occasionally to let it mix and steam. It's done when the marrow goes sort of translucent and glossy looking.

Another way is to peel and layer in thin slices with sliced tomatoes, cheese and any tomato based pasta sauce in a baking dish. Finish with cheese as the top layer and bake. Great with crusty bread as a light meal or a starter or side veg dish.

Peel and saute thinnish slices in olive oil and garlic very quickly at medium heat to brown each side lightly. Vary this by adding any fresh herb you fancy or sesame seeds or sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds.

Peel whole and slice into rings about 2 inch wide. Steam lightly then plonk on a baking tray and stuff and bake.

Maybe I should cross post this in the recipe section. You'll get loads more good suggestions in there.

Comment

Hi HJ - perhaps you could let us know how the receipe tastes? My squash/courgettes are still a little small. Will keep a courgette growing 'coz am I right in thinking they are "baby marrows"? dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

mmmm sounds good! I'll let you know how they turn out.

Yes dexterdog, I have a choice of courgettes and marrow from the same plants. Next year I will suggest we put in 2 plants as my allotment-mate and I can't keep up with the produce from 4!

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X