squirrel digging up my bulbs!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel digging up my bulbs!

lots of potholes appearing in my borders where the squirrels are helping thmselves to our bulbs :-( i do love squirrels and dont want to harm them at all, but dont want them munching the rest of my garden, will putting some nuts out distract them enough? i have some mesh fabric that will let light and water through but not sure how to securely fix it down so its not dug up!
    help!

I'ts a tough one, like you I love squirrels, and would willingly sacrifice a few bulbs to have one in my garden.
    Nuts might help, but they just seem to LOVE digging even when there is an easier source near by.
    you could use nuts and an obstacle course for them? something they could enjoy 'stealing' from.
    I know most gardeners hate them, and call them vermin, and perhaps they are, but they are the cutest vermin I have even seen
    Last edited by BrideXIII; 05-11-2008, 12:21 PM.
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

We have an oak tree in our garden and it's not a particularly big garden. As a result - at this time of year it is covered in a carpet of acorns and leaves. There are a few squirrels that inhabit the tree and despite the abundance of acorns they still dig up bulbs.

On GW the other night they showed a good idea.

Plant bulbs within one of those tubs you use for pond plants (like a pot made of mesh). Dig a whole big enough for the mesh pot and then fill the pot with soil/compost and plant the bulbs withing the mesh pot. Place some chicken wire over the top of the pot and then bury the whole thing in the ground.

When the bulbs have died back, you can dig the whole thing up to store the bulbs ready for next season.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I was gonna suggest roasting them....but then saw you wanted to do them no harm!!So.....what he others have said!!
        the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

my squirrel gets nuts in their shells from some old ladies in the sheltered housing round the corner ....... then buries them in my garden ..... i did get some peanut plants this year, but they all died ...... so not sure peanuts would work, but it might keep them occupied, and they might go bury them elsewhere

Comment

I have no need to aerate my lawn any more - the squirrels do it for me by burying their acorns.

3 squirrels, countless acorns, 1 lawn. You can imagine.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

cool, if they all grow, you can have your own woodland ....... just imagine how much fun you could have building bean a tree house

Comment

The only sure-fire way to deal with squirrels is to find a portal to an alternate universe where everything is exactly the same as here, except that there are no squirrels.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                  The only sure-fire way to deal with squirrels is to find a portal to an alternate universe where everything is exactly the same as here, except that there are no squirrels.
                  do we move there? or do we send them there?
                  Vive Le Revolution!!!
                  'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                  Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

If you feed the squirrels, you'll get even more, and they will STILL dig up the bulbs!
                    Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                      I was gonna suggest roasting them....but then saw you wanted to do them no harm!!So.....what he others have said!!
                      So, should I not suggest an air rifle...
                      Tx

Comment

we had a major problem with this, so we gave up shouting abuse at them from the kitchen window and put on fine mesh chicken wire over the pots.
                        though we did have the idea of burying a mine in the pot of blowing mr furry tail to kingdom come. But mum said it would make too much of a mess.
                        http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by aud View Post
                          though we did have the idea of burying a mine in the pot of blowing mr furry tail to kingdom come. But mum said it would make too much of a mess.
                          .....& of course render it useless for the pot!!
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
                            .....& of course render it useless for the pot!!
                            Johnny Appleseed has got a great recipe
                            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

A powerful air rifle works extremely well . . .

As I am privileged to have Red Squirrel visit our garden on a daily basis the only advice you will ever get from me regarding greys is trap & kill them, sorry

We fight a constant battle against greys in Cumbria and the north of England, this summer there have been loads of greys breeding in Whinlatter, only 5 miles from us. It is only a matter of time before they find their way here and sadly in my lifetime I expect to see the beautiful reds driven out of Cumbria and probably most of England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X