club root

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• club root

Has anyone heard of putting a pice of rhubarb in the the hole before you plant the brasica seedling. it stops club root
    just read it in the concise guide to self sufficiency by john seymour 4.99 hard back from the book people
    Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
    Dobby

Oxalic acid is the active ingredient in rhubarb leaves which is supposed to do the biz!
    It worked for me on my last plot with spring cabbages but not with summer brassicas for some reason?
    My theory is that the clubroot fungus is temperature dependant and it doesn't thrive as much on winter brassicas!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I know that this goes counter to what Snadge has just said, but I've always been under the impression that a generous handful of lime in the planting hole of brassicas combats clubroot.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        I know that this goes counter to what Snadge has just said, but I've always been under the impression that a generous handful of lime in the planting hole of brassicas combats clubroot.
        And here's me thinking you were a devout follower of John Seymour!

No Haze, of course you're right, clubroot thrives in an acid soil so adding lime is bound to help, but won't make a happeth of difference if you already have it esconced in the soil!
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          And here's me thinking you were a devout follower of John Seymour!
          Ha ha! Well picked up on!

In this instance the mighty Reg-next-plot gets my vote - he's been advising one of the new chaps at the Hill who's got clubroot on one part of his plot. (Hazel's advice was 'well don't grow brassicas in that bit, then')

Comment

Hi Dobby
            I've heard of this but never needed to test it out. Similarly with the addition of lime, but if the clubroot is already present then best to try and avoid growing brassicas on the infected area.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

we have always put a bit of compost in from and old growbag with lime and blood fish and bone then put the plant in,
              and it has always worked I was going to try the rhubarb thing as we have lots of it on the plot
              Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
              Dobby

Comment

Fortunately I don't have it.
                From being a young gardener I was always told "never buy brassica plant's, always grow from seed".
                The idea being that you won't import the problem.
                Also I saw one solution was to dig largish holes and fill with fresh compost and plant in that. Don't know if it works as I don't need to test it.

Jim
                Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Hi Jimmy et al,

What Mr D was trying to say is that as Clubroot is well established on the allotments site, we've always dug a fairly large hole, limed and blood fish and bone'd it, then used spent growbag or other fresh compost to plant the brassicas in, always grown from seed!

We've done well with brassicas on the plot since we've had it, but have seen others with major problems, so looks like the liming and planting into a fresh pocket of compost works!

The question re the rhubarb was whether it works and should we put it in beneath the fresh soil, as it looks like no one has a definite answer, methinks perhaps we need to trial it this coming growing season!
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                  Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                  Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                  On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                    Hi Jimmy et al,

What Mr D was trying to say is that as Clubroot is well established on the allotments site, we've always dug a fairly large hole, limed and blood fish and bone'd it, then used spent growbag or other fresh compost to plant the brassicas in, always grown from seed!

We've done well with brassicas on the plot since we've had it, but have seen others with major problems, so looks like the liming and planting into a fresh pocket of compost works!

The question re the rhubarb was whether it works and should we put it in beneath the fresh soil, as it looks like no one has a definite answer, methinks perhaps we need to trial it this coming growing season!
                    Rhubarb leaves worked for me with spring cabbage Mrs D..........but still think clubroot is less prevalent through the winter months?

PS Just had a thought......if you haven't suffered from clubroot on your plot, what's to say you have it in the soil anyway? If you haven't got it, you deffinately dont want it! Liming will be beneficial in not giving the fungus the right environment to thrive!
                    You could only test the rhubarb theory by planting in known clubroot infested land.
                    Last edited by Snadger; 01-11-2008, 10:29 AM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have serious club root and do not believe that a pesticide does not exist to cure this major problem, how do the commercial growers cope!! It is a question obtaining this preventive for private use.
                      I have tried liming with limited success. Any further ideas would be gratefully received.

Comment

Have you tried the clubroot resistant varieties Floreal? Clapton cauliflower, and Kilaton or Kilaxy cabbage. Swede Marian or Invitation
                        Also, starting the plants off in pots or trays, then potting them on until they've got a decent root system before planting them out into a hole filled with fresh compost & a handful of lime as Mrs Dobby describes above.

Good luck
                        Last edited by SarzWix; 13-01-2009, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Armillatox USED to be used to contol clubroot years ago. You can still google the information about it. It is still widely available but only sanctioned as a path cleaner.
                          The reason we can't use it for the miriad of uses it has is that the company wouldn't pay the large amount of money (many thousands!) required to have it added to the list of approved pesticides.
                          Last edited by Snadger; 14-01-2009, 08:34 AM.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X