Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about weedkiller

Hello all

Had a conversation today with some who has used Roundup weedkiller on a veg bed which was going to be planted with onions and garlic overwinter. Personally I don't use weedkillers and this person seems to think it won't do any harm to any veg planted, but I'm not sure? It's not a conversation I had on here by the way. Can you help please as I am more of a practical person and don't understand the scientific bit. Thanks

Roundup contains glyphosate which is said to become neutral on contact with soil. It works by landing on the green part of the plant and being absorbed into its system and thus killing it. It doesn't leave any residue in the soil which will get into your veg, so on balance I'd say it's safe to use. I prefer not to use weedkillers but in the past, in situations like amongst the roots of shrubs where you can't dig out for fear of harming the shrub, I've used Roundup myself in the past.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Glyphosate is the only weedkiller I will use. Effective when directed properly and doesn't affect following crops.

Comment

I spray my bare ground with Gallup 360 (commercial Glyphosate) to help my young plants get established before they come under attack from chickweed, oilseed rape and various other weeds.
        Glyphosate acts on the green plant material (though it will not kill clover) and is non-residual,i.e it does not stay in the soil - the manufacturer's blurb usually says something about the chemical being neutralised on contact with the soil, so therefore no harm will come to crops planted following a treatment.
        If you do spray, I would leave 5 days minimum before planting out, just to give the 'killer a chance to do it's work properly.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, my neighbours and I have all 3 of us used own-brand Glyphosate (from Tesco & Wilko), and it doesn't even kill the weeds, let alone anything else! (I dripped a bit accidentally on a courgette ... it sulked for a while, but still produced fruit)
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 23-10-2008, 06:48 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Well, my neighbours and I have all 3 of us used own-brand Glyphosate (from Tesco & Wilko), and it doesn't even kill the weeds, let alone anything else! (I dripped a bit accidentally on a courgette ... it sulked for a while, but still produced fruit)
            You get what you pay for.
            If it was ready mixed, then I'd say it was a waste of time and money. However, depending on weather and weed typre, it can take up to 6 weeks to kill anything - though I have experienced it taking up to 2 months to completely kill some of my stranger weeds.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you add a few drops of washing up liquid to your glyphosate spray you will find it helps and it is better to spray in the evening as, if the sun (that's the big yellow thing we used to get in the sky) is out when you spray, the glyphosate dries on the leaves before it is well absorbed. I have found that it certainly kills my clover. It is getting close to the time when we will have to wait till next year to use this.

Comment

I had some persistant docks in a flower bed that if I dug out would do too much damage to the other plants so I used ready mixed Roundup. I only used one application early in the year and there's no sign of the docks yet. I'm not particularly in favour of using artificial methods of getting rid of unwanted vegitation but needs must!
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X