is my stuff no good now?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my stuff no good now?

i have grown a nasturtium and under the leaves are covered in what looks like tiny little flys.
    my green house has a few fly things in it and it looks like something has been eating the leaves of my potatoes.
    So could someone tell me is all my stuff now no good?
    cheers tracey

Nasturtiums are often grown near veg to encourage blackfly ( and possibly greenfly) away from other plants. Just nip off the worst affected leaves and smudge the underside of the them between you fingers to squish them.
    Almost everyone I know gets black/white/green fly in their greenhouses- again just smudge off if you are organic- or spray with soapy water.
    Same for your spuds ( I presume these are for Xmas ???)

The only way a small infestation is a problem is in causing the leaves to curl.A high infestation can reduce the vigor of a plant and even introduce a virus- but then the whole plant would look sick.
    You're crops will be fine if you can give a bit of tlc now

Oh- and welcome to the Vine!
    Last edited by Nicos; 13-09-2008, 05:53 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thank you for that.
      I have taken off the worse leaves and rubbed off the flys on the other leaves of my nasturtium.But i have some big flys just flying around my greenhouse,so do i just leave them or try to kill them.
      cheers tracey

Comment

I think you should try to catch the flies.
        A butterfly net might be in order
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by seedy View Post
          Thank you for that.
          I have taken off the worse leaves and rubbed off the flys on the other leaves of my nasturtium.But i have some big flys just flying around my greenhouse,so do i just leave them or try to kill them.
          cheers tracey
          When you say big flies I presume you mean houseflies or bluebottles - they won't do any harm they're just annoying. What are you growing in the greenhouse?

Comment

i am just growing potatoes in a deep tub and a tomato plant,and my nasturtium. Not got much else as when i moved house i left all my stuff out alnight and the slugs ate it all.
            Not having much luck with my growing, but my nine year old son is doing very well with his growing,maybe i should ask him for some tips.(he he)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X