And just one more - Brassica 'spot'

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And just one more - Brassica 'spot'

Widespread this year - on several varieties of Brassica.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...pot600x450.jpg

Once again, opinion please?

I would guess the dark patches have been nibbled by something - whitefly? mealy cabbage aphid?

You should be pulling yellow leaves off the plants anyway, as they will otherwise fall to the ground & attract pests like whitefly, slugs, snails & woodlice
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just look like old leaves from the bottom of the plant?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There are certainly a lot of Whitefly. And yes, I do keep clearing off the grotty leaves.

Old leaves? Yes - but why so spotty? Thought they would just go yellow or brown.

Thank you both.

Comment

Nothing to worry about IMO. The spots are probably a result of attack by a pest which spreads out as it gets infected.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It is almost certainly ringspot or alternaria (very slight differences between the two) - there's a lot of it about this year what with the wet weather. Unless the plants are completely covered with it i wouldn't worry.

Its a fungal disease spread by spores in wind and water so there's little preventative action you can take and its unlikely to kill the plant. practice good crop rotation as the spores can survive in the soil. not worth treating the plants and not much you can use for it anyway!
            There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
            Happy Gardening!

Comment

Thanks for that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X