Top weedkiller may be banned by EU

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top weedkiller may be banned by EU

Just read an article that says that Glyphosate is under threat from new EU legislation. I try to garden organically, but I do sometimes use this on the path outside my house where weeds grow between the pavement and the gravel boards of the fence. What is a good alternative if this "law" is passed? And should we start stocking up now?
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Yes, I read that too Maureen. Like you, I only use where necessary and not where I grow food. But commercial growers will tel you they can't get a decent crop without it and they're probably right. I don't think there is a viable alternative so you might be wise to keep a supply in your shed - but if you use it you'll be breaking the law. Sh !!!!
    If you don't tell anyone neither will I.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I find it amasing that they would ban a contact/systemic weedkiller like glyphosate yet still leave a residual weedkiller like Sodium Chlorate on the market!

No chemicals are good, but residuals are deplorable!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

You can use good old boiling water to kill weeds in pavement cracks
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 31-08-2008, 08:19 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Roundup is the only thing that can eradicate ragwort successfully if we lose that we are seriously doomed. I have a constant battle with the ragwort in the paddocks and resorted to Roundup for the first time this year.
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

If europe bans of glyphoshate as a weedkiller it just confirms there ignorance, This is a perfectly safe manner to control weeds, chemical or not. All these misled organic gardeners make me laugh, The air we breath is full of co gases, amongst lead polutants etc, Rain collects this and deposits it in yr butt or directly on your veg plot Tap water carries chlorine, aluminium etc, Farm manure is full of chemicals so how on earth can you claim to be organic lol. Like are parents said, All things in moderation. Human body can easily cope with most toxics in moderation

Comment

I wish the EU would go jump off a pier. Either that or research things properly. Glyphosate is perfectly safe if used according to instruction, and invaluable when dealing with brambles and docks. It biodegrades on contact with the soil, so causes no problems with contaminating following crops. However they still approve products like pathclear which remains in the soil supposedly preventing germination of seeds for up to 6 months.

Comment

I think people are over-reacting. This rumour has been doing the rounds for a while, but I can't find anything on the Net to confirm the rumour.

Glyphosate is a useful weedkiller, but it is NOT totally safe ~ it is very harmful to aquatic life, eg. fish and frogs.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

True or not, the EU should go, go go stick their rules where the sun don't shine, which ummmm they already are - here. All we want is a referendum like the Irish and then we can really tell the EU where to stick rules and it has nothing to do with sun more to do with the hadron thingymagig and little black holes
                  Last edited by HayleyB; 12-09-2008, 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo, put homes instead of holes :D
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

Sorry two sheds but it IS TOTALLY SAFE . But you must follow the instructions like all things in life. They advise you regarding aquatic life. The only unsafe things are us people who ignore instructions

Comment

I'm not an organic gardener, even though I try to be, but I draw the line at some things.

Only use pesticides as a last resort is my motto!

I personally will never use weedkillers of any description on my allotment and I am at peace with my concience.

Just remember, Forefront was deemed safe until the recent manure scare along with Derris Dust (Rotenone) linked to Parkinsons disease!

Glyphosate IS toxic to aquatic life and if it will kill a fish I want nothing to do with it! No matter how many microns find there way into the food chain it's got to be toxic to some extent as it's not a natural substance!

I'll get down off the podium now!
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I know where you are coming from Snadger but Ragwort is lethal to all animals and humans and it's getting more and more prolific, absolutely nothing else works as well as Roundup on grazing land and if the farmers/horsey people lose it the farmers will resort to Forefront which will mean the end of muck as we know it. Us horsey lot will have to go back to breaking our backs every year.
                        Hayley B

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                          I know where you are coming from Snadger but Ragwort is lethal to all animals and humans and it's getting more and more prolific, absolutely nothing else works as well as Roundup on grazing land and if the farmers/horsey people lose it the farmers will resort to Forefront which will mean the end of muck as we know it. Us horsey lot will have to go back to breaking our backs every year.
                          I think forefront has been banned now because of public concern?

There will be life after Glyphosate though!

Glyphosate is a systemic TOTAL weedkiller. Mainly used for killing grass and shouldn't be used on grazing land unless you are spot treating .

Other approved chemicals are better suited to killing Ragwort including Mecoprop, 2,4D,Dicamba and MCPA to name but a few AND THEY WON'T KILL THE GRASS!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                            Just read an article that says that Glyphosate is under threat from new EU legislation. I try to garden organically, but I do sometimes use this on the path outside my house where weeds grow between the pavement and the gravel boards of the fence. What is a good alternative if this "law" is passed? And should we start stocking up now?
                            It's not the EEC changing the rules in this case. Every chemical has to be approved and registered and it costs about £10k per item and has to be re-approved every 5 years I think and so a lot of the companies rather than apply for re-approval drop the item concerned . We ( chrysanth & dahlia growers) are about to loose about 50 fungicides and insecticides some of which are the only ones that work against certain diseases ( White rust on Chrysanths for instance). I'm sure others will come along to replace them in a year or twos time but it's just ashock when it's announced
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                              Found this whilst googling!

Horse and Hound Online Forum: Ragwort - what to do next?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X