Sunflower head oozing white stuff!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunflower head oozing white stuff!!

Hi all - just a query, I've got a few sunflowers just now, and one had flowered a few weeks ago and I've just left it as I think the birds will enjoy the seeds. Anyway...looked at it yesterday and the head has gone all soggy with white/creamy stuff coming out at the back of the seedhead and oozing thorugh the front! Yuk! I've binned it cos not sure if it was diseased...however is this normal that these top heavy plants do this?

Thanks, Dee
    "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

No idea what that is but I'd chuck it as well.

Some sunflower expert might be along in a bit with better advice.

Never managed to get a sunflower head to actually dry out as the squirrels and birds tend to ravage them long before I can get my hands on them.

Comment

Behind the seeds on a sunflower head there is an area of white spongey 'stuff' which the seeds grow out of, I wonder if in the wet weather this has turned to mush? The only thing I can suggest is to pick the heads and let them dry in a shed and give them to the birds in winter?

Comment

Sounds like they've rotted to me.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

hi - thanks for advice, i'll try and save the seeds from the remaining sunflowers for the birdies! The white spongy goo was disgusting!

D
          "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X