Help!...Is this Deadly Nightshade?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    many garden plants are poisonous, so hopefully you have taught your son to put nothing in his mouth without checking with you first.
    Absolutely. Daffodils, tulips & hyacinths are all poisonous, and plants such as strawberries and parsnips can cause violent reactions to some people (I blister really badly if parsnip sap gets on my skin).

It's not possible or desirable to totally rid the garden of harmful plants.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Why would anyone want to grow a poisonous plant..Belladona. I was kicky not to die at an early from picking and eating the berries, ended up in a coma and was very ill, being a child didn't know much better..always concerned not about picking and eating any berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Guykp57 View Post
        Why would anyone want to grow a poisonous plant..
        Why do people want to grow daffodils & tulips?

They're poisonous.

Belladonna tends to just appear, I don't think anyone intentionally plants it. As I said, you can't ensure your garden is 100% safe (because plants tend to just appear from nowhere), plus a child is going to encounter poisonous plants on a school trip, or at a friend's house, or in the woods ...

So the best advice is "don't eat ANYTHING unless you check with an adult first"
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-08-2013, 07:43 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Deadly Nightshade or ?

Will try & place a pic on here but knowing my luck with p.c.s it will disappear into cyberspace !!
          Attached Files

Comment

This is me replying to my own reply.........it actually worked !!!

Comment

Originally posted by John Stocker View Post
              Will try & place a pic on here but knowing my luck with p.c.s it will disappear into cyberspace !![ATTACH=CONFIG]38929[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]38930[/ATTACH]
              Well your pics worked, but whatever your plant is I wouldn't try to eat the fruit. Get rid asap.

Comment

I only worry about poisonous ornamental plants if I feel they may look edible to a child. So I don't worry about deadly stuff like Foxgloves and Monkshood because no child is going to try and eat it. (Except tiny toddlers who are still exploring the world by putting everything into their mouths and should never be left in any garden without close attendance of a sober adult).

The only stuff I worry about are the plants that look tasty. So I get rid of weeds like Cuckoo Pint and obviously I'd get rid of Deadly Nightshade if it ever appeared (unlikely, I don't think I've ever seen it).

Once upon a time, Laburnum used to poison children every year who would eat the seeds thinking they were tiny peas. But nowadays, children think that peas come from supermarkets, so you aren't going to see them shelling and eating Laburnum pods when they are playing Mummies and Daddies in the back garden on a warm summer's afternoon. On that basis I'd have no hesitation in growing a Laburnum tree should I ever reach the stage of actually appreciating its ornamental qualities.

I think I'd get rid of black nightshade the same way as I get rid of potato berries (which look less appealing but are more poisonous).
                My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X