lizards

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lizards

Hi, So far this year whilst sorting my garden, i have come across 3 field mouse sized lizards. (could be the same onel lol) Does anyone have any ideas of what type they are? They are a greyish green colour on top and paler underneath.

I have left them be tas i hought they might be useful as a slug deterrent. lol.

Lacerta vivipara. Common lizard: BBC - Science & Nature - Wildfacts - Common lizard, viviparous lizard

I'm guessing you're near the south coast? I used to have lizards and slow worms on my Sussex allotment.
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-07-2008, 09:31 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

BTW, you posted this in Weeds Pests & Diseases. Lizards are none of those things They are lovely, and harmless. You're lucky to have them.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Agree with 2 sheds, lizards are NICE, they also eat all sorts of nasty things, probably including slugs. We get lizards when we go to Spain (a hut on a hillside in the middle of nowhere) and I am convinced they are the reason we have no cockroach problem. Cockroaches seem to be the favourite food of the lizards we get out there, but I have seen them munching on big moths, millipedes and other types of beetle as well.....
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

When we lived in the south of England, we were lucky enough to have lizards. You may be right and have seen three, as they seem to like company. We used to see as many as five sunning themselves and, the first time I saw one grab a snail, I thought it would choke - they seem to grab any prey and bash it on the ground or a handy stone, before swallowing it whole. On reflection, I thought this was the usual way for most reptiles. You are very lucky - enjoy
          Last edited by Tam; 03-07-2008, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks, good job i left them to get on with it then. Although if i were to remove them they would be relocated not eliminated. Oh and im in Wiltshire, not quite the south coast but near enough, is it common to find them in Wiltshire do you know?

Comment

I haven't seen any lizards around here, but I know there are some in the New Forest, which isn't much further south. We do get slowworms (which are really lizards, but without legs, so they look a bit snake-like).
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Lacerta vivipara. Common lizard: BBC - Science & Nature - Wildfacts - Common lizard, viviparous lizard

I'm guessing you're near the south coast? I used to have lizards and slow worms on my Sussex allotment.
                ???So how come I have them in my garden, I'm in North Wales!
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X