Ants on my broad beans?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants on my broad beans?

My broad beans are about one-two feet tall. I have noticed that ants are climbing up them and are swarming all over the fower heads. Is this a problem, do I need to stop them? Why are they doing this?

Have you any blackfly on them? The ants could be 'farming' them for the honeydew they produce, and they fight off other predators to protect their livestock.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi

Have a close look at your growing tips and young leaves.Ants are known to nurse and tend aphids if you have ants trekking up and down the plant stems this could be the reason

Comment

Look closer!! The ants aren't there for the exercise. They are putting baby blackfly on your beans so the blackfly can suck the life out of your plants and the ants can feed on the sugary substance (honeydew) that the blackfly produce. KILL THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have the same problem but they appear to be eating the stems at the base. Hope someone knows how to stop this. Gardenia

Comment

cornflour is good as ant powder. Spray the blackfly with soapy water or squish them, quick!
            Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I've got some on mine and the BBs are only 4 inches high! Does anyone know if its safe to use ant powder around veggies?
              AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X