Dying from the Roots Up

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying from the Roots Up

Something in the polytunnel is eating my plants from the root up. I've got rid of the slugs as I thought that was the problem. (well not got rid of them but had a good go at hunting them down with a torch and using organic pellets). But I think they can be crossed off the list.

So........ could it be vine weevil? I don't think so as I was plagued with this when I first dug out the area. I used a nematode two years running and have not seen a single grub in the ground this year.

Any ideas?

Whatever it is it is attacking lettuce, carrots (not one seeded so far), even the sweetcorn is looking a bit dodgy and the runner and french beans are affected. But the broad beans are ok as are salad leaves and radishes.

Whatever it is its a fussy eater!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Sounds like your vine weevils could be back!

I think its just the male or female you see above ground, its the ones you cant see underground that do all the damage and you find your plant suddenly withers and dies and you find you have no roots left!

Have you brought in compost from an outside source this year?....quite often they are in the compost bought from garden centres.
    Last edited by jamesp; 16-06-2008, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks James. Oh dear as I suspected. Yes I did buy in compost this year to top up the beds. Nematode time again methinks!
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X