Potato Blight Scare

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato Blight Scare

I have just receiced a 'Blightwatch Alert' e.mail for my area ( Oxford ) . I have potatoes growing that were affected ny frost a little while ago and I dont want to loose them now - any advise please?

You can buy bordeaux mixture to spray on your spuds to help protect them from blight.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Is that the same as Dithane?

Comment

Not sure, I just asked the helpful lady in my local nursery what I could use for spud blight and she gave me a bottle of bordeaux mixture.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
          Not sure, I just asked the helpful lady in my local nursery what I could use for spud blight and she gave me a bottle of bordeaux mixture.
          I've a nice bottle of Bordeaux at home, not sure I'd want to spray it on me spuds though.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Bordeaux Mixture and Dithane are both fungicides but they are not the same.

Bordeaux mixture contains copper sulphate and slaked lime.

Dithane contains a synthetic fungicide called Mancozeb.

They are both toxic and need careful handling. Make sure you follow the instructions.

Comment

I'm trying the T&M blight buster collection.
              Last edited by Capsid; 04-06-2008, 04:04 PM.
              Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Here's what we're trying, thanks to aroma oil advice, combined with companion planting principles AND Bordeaux mixture....as follows.

Why the mix? Because it allows you to use less toxic Bordeaux mix, apparently.

2oz equisitum(horsetail) boiled for 20 minutes in 2 pints water, made up to 2 litres. Add this to 10 drops Teatree oil in 4 litres of water, mixed in the watering can. Top up with 2 litres Bordeaux mixture = 5 parts Calcium carbonate(hydrated lime), 4 parts Copper Sulphate (toxic)[45gms lime:40gms CuSO4 in 2 litres water.]

Hope I got the calculations right. Now I'm off to try it nout.

Cheers.

Comment

Meant to say, that all comes up to 8 litres, the size of our watering can!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X