Making a LadyBird House

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a LadyBird House

I'm being overrun with black fly (not helped because I'm overrun with ants...) and wanted to make a Ladybird house or too h#to help them hibernate in my garden ready to munch the gritters next year.

I can seem to find any instructions or ideas on the net - has anyone made one before that can give me some pointers?

Cheers
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

We bought one from the local garden centre. I think they are a waste of money. It is basically a small bird box with an opening front into which you are supposed to put some crumpled up paper or straw or corrugated cardboard.

I would thind that if you leave a tiny corner of your garden a bit wild and untidy then the insects will come. I seem to remember that most of them particularly like nettles. And of course they will be attracted to the aphids!

God Bless
    Bill
    God Bless
    Bill

http://drbillsveggies.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi DrBill, and welcome to the 'vine. Thanks for the quick reply.

Fair enough... like they say a recomendation is the best thing to go on, if you've not had a good experience, maybe I should think of the wild-ish area. Just hope I can get it going quickly enough as most of the garden has been overhauled this year. The last bit down the end (which I expect would be best for wildlife as it's the least disturbed) is about to have a new shed built on it.

Nettles... they can be quite invasive can't they? Also seen some yummy recipies on here cooking and brewing with them! Do you know a good way to keep them in check? Any other things good for ladybirds to hibernate in? I seem to remember last year having tonnes of ladybirds when I grew cornflower in a 'wildflower' patch I grew to keep an empty bit of ground in check...

Any other grapes had sucess with the ladybird homes, or are they generally not that sucessful?
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I think perhaps leaving part of the garden a bit wild might be a help, I have quite a lot of wild bits and loads of ladybirds - Ro

Comment

I've been trying something I saw on gardeners world once - according to Alan Titmarsh nettles hate having the flowers cut off so the ones I have growing in a hedge are having that done as we speak
          www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X