No announcement yet.

Pea Moth & Maggot... May-July

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to find they seem to be in mature pods.. haven't had any in my mangetout - which are right near the peas (as in next to them).

Bit gross podding some peas to find the maggots in mind. *Shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I have my Ikea net curtains on standby for tomorrow!
      I bought some, they didn't even last the season before they got ripped & shredded by the wind. I've just treated myself to some Enviromesh with my T&M vouchers
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sigh, thanks for this thread, that explains it then. I've got some fleece I suppose it might not be too late for some of them?

Comment

Sorry im new to all this.

Maybe a daft question. But if you cover them how do they get pollinated?

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit View Post
            I've got some fleece I suppose it might not be too late for some of them?
            If your peas are still flowering, then cover them up. The moth infests the flower, not the pea pod. I've just taken the mesh off mine because the flowers are all gone now.
            The meshed peas were brilliant, a perfect crop. The 'naked' patch of peas had a maggot in every pod, pretty much.

At school, no damage at all (on anything, except snails) because there are no other veg plots in the vicinity: it's in the middle of a concrete desert, too far for most pests to travel on the No.8 bus
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazy Gardener View Post
              Sorry im new to all this.

Maybe a daft question. But if you cover them how do they get pollinated?
              Peas are self-pollinating

Comment

Thanks for this, I have a good crop of peas this year for the first time ever and plenty more to come, but some of them have the little blighters in. Very gross when podding them. I Must gets some net curtains for next year.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X