Sparrows eating my chard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparrows eating my chard

The ruddy sparrows are eating all my Chard! I thought they were being good and eating greenfly, but on closer inspection, they've been ripping great chucks of leaf off - and had a go at my mange tout as well.
    All tucked safely under net now.

I suspect they are after moisture from the greens, rather than food - it is so hot and dry, and I don't have a bird bath (note to self: get that pond in pronto)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Get a large pot saucer and put it on the lawn - makes an excelent birdbath until the pond is ready - if you fill it with water of course!
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

I read in the GYO mag to put the lid of the compost bin on upside down and put some water in it for the birds. I quite liked that idea

janeyo

Comment

Water in anything that will contain it will make a great bird bath and be much appreciated by them. Don't forget to tip it out and replace it every few days or the mosquitoes will breed in there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have already got two upturned bin-lids with water in at top end of lottie. Perhaps I shall move them to nearer to the chard till they get the hint!

Comment

I've never had anything (including pigeons so far!) eat chard. Himself says that's because chard is nasty! NOT SO! Good luck with detering them.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Last year I had trouble with them eating our lettuce and beetroot leaves. I provide them with plenty of food and water but it made no difference.

Comment

I find that sparrows tend not to eat the stuff they destroy - they seem to do it for mischief. I don't mind (within reason) anything helping itself to my crops if they are actually eating it, but if they just pick it to pieces I get cross!!

Comment

the little b*ggers!
                  They've moved onto my peas and beetroot leaves now...little bites taken off every plant. the leaves are being stripped to the stems. This is despite the bin-lid of water I've put out for them to drink from (and they are). I think they are just being malicious.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X