black-fly problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black-fly problem

I am a virgin veg-grower and want to do it as organically as possible. We've just moved into a new house and turned half the garden into a veg-plot (as well as having taken on an allotment with some friends). Everything i've planted seems to be popping up nicely but the broad beans have black fly and I wonder if there are any tips for getting rid of these. I have a lovely angelica plant too and it also seems to have attracted the blackfly and is now looking very poorly. Any tips would be gratefully received.

With broad beans you should pinch off the top 3 inches of stem as soon as the first beans start to form. This helps to stop attacks from black fly. You can buy organic black fly (aphid) sprays from the garden centres but I am sure that someone on the grapevine will know a homemade remedy. I nearly forgot, welcome to the grapevine!
    [

Comment

Thanks for such a quick reply, Lesley...I'll go and pinch the tops off now and see what happens. I think with the angelica I'll just remove the affected parts.

Comment

It's also a good idea to plant some Nasturtiums nearby. I do this every year as the blackfly get attracted to the nasturtiums instead of my veg.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X