X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who lives here?

Hi Y'all,
    Bit of a "Through the Keyhole" one.
    I was in the greenhouse this evening and found what can only be described as a burrow. Or nest. Or haven for some dreaded muncher of fruit and veg.
    The abode is about two inches long and is not unlike a barrow, or ridge in shape. The soil around is very friable (I garden on clay and wish I could get a tilth like that!) with the ridge hardish to the touch. There is either two entry holes or an in and out one way system.
    I suspect it could be a predatory wasp or possibly an ants nest.
    Any ideas?
    See attached photo.
    Attached Files

2 solitary bees?????

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...naperplexa.jpg

..well it certainly looks similar!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Smuff

It's difficult to tell from the pic, but I suspect it's a 'Tawny mining/burrowing bee. I have them on my allotment and spent some time investigating just what was making those strange holes around my garlic. They excavate a tunnel or burrow and they deposit the soil in what is best described as 'volcano' type formation. They lay an egg at the bottom of the hole and deposit food/nectar for the emerging grub to feed on. They are a lovely Fox red colour and are solitary and quite harmless because they don't have any real sting. They are good industrious pollenators of plants are beneficial to gardeners.

Comment

Thanks for the speedy response chaps
        I'm glad that they've been identified as friendlies and I can call off the napalm strike
        Interestingly enough the little blighters have decided to set up home in amongst some garlic.
        My next issue is that when the garlic comes out the tomatoes and other greenhouse regulars will have to move in. As well as being cute and lend a hand in the garden I'll just work round them until they move on.

Comment

Thanks for that information Phill. How interesting.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think is just cute!
            sorry I'm quickly to have "melllooww" feelings with all this little creatures..
            I love bees!

Comment

Originally posted by marialittlebzz View Post
              I think is just cute!
              sorry I'm quickly to have "melllooww" feelings with all this little creatures..
              I love bees!
              Bees are indeed splendid things; they pollinate everything in sight and wear wooly jumpers What more can you ask for...
              I always worry about them when they fly by - as if they're not quite in control and about to crash.

Comment

We have them near the neighbour's front garden. They even get into the house - they are really softeis and you can catch them and put them out. Good for pollination - all-round good eggs!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X