persistent grasses

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• persistent grasses

Hi I dug my new beds over really well (I thought) and now in the rasps and asparagus bed there is loads of new grasses coming up, which I think must be couch grass. Is there any hope for getting it out ir will I have to dig up and start again?

Interestingly this is the only unraised bed and this is the one with all the weeds and grasses constantly coming through, the others seem much better.

I would have to go and put the permanent plants in the worst bed - doh!

janeyo

You might try putting that black fleecy stuff around your fruit bushes.Mine is down permanently,only lifted to put down wood ash or manure. The couch grass is still there waiting it's chance but this keeps it in check.

Comment

I know what you mean, we have some in the shed - is def worth a go. Maybe I can drapw some round the asparagus mounds too.

j

Comment

Originally posted by Polly Fouracre View Post
        You might try putting that black fleecy stuff around ...The couch grass is still there waiting it's chance but this keeps it in check.
        Couch grass can easily pierce and penetrate carpet It will simply laugh at your black fleecy stuff
        Dig over properly, then keep on pulling up the odd bit as it appears.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I wasn't sure what couch grass was, so I googled it. I now know that the stuff that covered my entire allotment and still covers the half I haven't dug over yet, is couch grass... Deep joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Couch grass can easily pierce and penetrate carpet It will simply laugh at your black fleecy stuff
            Dig over properly, then keep on pulling up the odd bit as it appears.
            It does sneak in at the sides but it doesn't seem to go through the black fleece(not in five years anyway!)It is very difficult to dig it up around fruit bushes without damaging fruit bush roots.
            Another way,if you don't mind using it,would be a herbicide painted onto the leaves as they appear.I've never tried that. Or in extremis I suppose one could dig up fruit bushes,dig up all couch grass one could see and re-plant bushes. Would this have to be done in winter?

Comment

The fruit bushes I spose could be moved but I worry about the asparagus!
              I have weeded it tonight and it actually doesn't look so bad. Most of the grasses had weaker roots than before (maybe as it was dark when I'd finished and it will look worse in the morning, lol)

So I put a layer of compost on the asparagus and also round the rasps as too dark to find the membrane in the shed!

I think I will see if the asparagus do anything next year and if not I will dig them all up and put some new ones in a weed free raised bed. The rasps will then get more rasps added and maybe strawbs too once dug over again.

janeyo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X