Are Centipedes friends or foes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Centipedes friends or foes?

Found one earlier when weeding and wasn't sure if I should leave it alone or dispatch it. Decided on the former, not into violence - save that for slugs and snails
    Do it! Life's too short

http://for-you-dad.blogspot.com/

Centipedes = predators = good

general rule: if it moves fast it's a predator and good, if it's slow-moving it's a pest.

"Centipedes are carnivorous and use their poisonous* head-claws to seize and paralyse their prey. They hunt, mostly at night, for ... insects, spiders and worms" Centipedes

* harmless to humans
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 27-04-2008, 04:26 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You'd be amazed how fast a snail can move when it knows you are after it!! Moved a pile of old carp at the lottie today and uncovered loads of snails. Turned my back for a minute, turned back and they were all legging it!

Comment

What about those browny/orangy thingys that look a bit like centipedes except they wriggle? Are they friends as well, they look like foes to me?!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          You'd be amazed how fast a snail can move when it knows you are after it!! Moved a pile of old carp at the lottie today and uncovered loads of snails. Turned my back for a minute, turned back and they were all legging it!
          Legging it?
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
            the monkeys slipped away unoticed ,when on the hunt have a small container with you,with salt in,and a stick to flip them into it,that way they will be going nowhere fast,then give it a shake.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Are you sure it is a centipede and not a millipede???

Moggssue- those wiggly yellow ones are GOOD!
              Last edited by Nicos; 29-04-2008, 09:13 AM.
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post

* harmless to humans
                Except when they nip you.
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X