Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best weedkiller for horsetail and bindweed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the good old days (pre EU) Ammonium Sulphamate was the killer of choice for marestails
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

I've recently discovered my chickens love eating it. I'm happy

They've been penned up for a while, whilst my raspberries have a chance to grow - let them out and they've been making short work of the marestail that's popped up between the raspberries!

Comment

I sprayed the horsetail with Kibosh/Kurtail last week and now it has all turned black. I have tryed allsorts of other weed killers and it has never market the horsetail.

I bought 25ml of it from my local allotment association on Shiremoor Allotments behind the club for £2.10 which I don't think it expensive at all.

Comment

Originally posted by kenny38 View Post
          I sprayed the horsetail with Kibosh/Kurtail last week and now it has all turned black. I have tryed allsorts of other weed killers and it has never market the horsetail.

I bought 25ml of it from my local allotment association on Shiremoor Allotments behind the club for £2.10 which I don't think it expensive at all.
          Kenny, how much water do you dilute that with? Just wondered what area it would cover or do you leave it in a spray ready to zap anything that shows its face?

Can outsiders buy this from your lottie shop?
          Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.
          Edited: for typo, thakns VC

Comment

The bloke in the shop gave me a 25ml bottle and marked it into 3 doses. He said use 5 litres with each dose and it seems to be doing the trick.

The shop is open Wed, Fri, Sat and Sun between 10am and 12.

Comment

Anyone can use the shop

Comment

It costs a pound to join the association , Kenny, you and I get it from the same place :d
                It was dark. And cold. And very, very empty.

And in the middle of all of the dark, cold, emptiness lay something darker, and colder, but very, very full.

Comment

I'd better pay the pound next time I'm in

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                    I'm living in horsetail hell today. I dug it all (lol) out of one bed
                    Well, two months on and it's definitely weakened by my digging. It is coming back in the beds that I've forked over, but because the soil is now loose & not walked on, it's easy to dig out the bits that come back.

Harder than that are the patches I can't reach, so I'm just pulling or chopping them off as they get too bolshy
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Guess what you lot..........I haven't got mares tail on my plot!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I bought a house about 18 months ago with the garden run through with horsetail. I've eradicated other persistant weeds before so knew it would be a toughie but I'd get there. I dug out loads of it, put down weed membrane and artificial grass on top (great for my dogs). There has been small amounts coming back through the drain holes in the grass - those I bruise and treat with glyphosate. I've made borders lined with weedproof fabric, and the soil fingertip searched before being put back in. Then the bed planted, topped with more weedproof fabric and mulched on top.
                        What I found was there are little pea-sized tubers along the roots from which it regrows, as well as the roots themselves. They snap off quite easily, so can get left behind when digging out. You have to get these out too, a fine mesh sieve works, and you soon get the 'feel' for them.
                        I know it will be a long time before I can resume 'normal' gardening as it definitley goes under the paving next door. My garden backs straight onto a canal, so the plant gets the damp conditions it loves.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X