Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat or Fox

What can you do....
    I'd planted out my early peas, in a raised bed, covered with a nice new piece of fleece. Next day a trail of muddy footprints right over the top. the fleece stretched over cloch hoops has ripped and most of the 18 pea plants underneath have been broken and crushed.
    These are the third lot of pea plants I grew, the first two lots eated by mice

It gets very frustrating sometimes!
    Sue

Maybe it was cats, chasing the meeces ?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Cats chasing the meeces under the fleeces !?
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Either way - bummer!

janeyo

Comment

What size were the footprints? Cat prints tend to be less than 2" across and fox prints tend to be 2" and over.

Bad luck about the peas though - enviromesh is stronger if you have any and peas will take a bit of cold so that might be a better choice.
          The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

2"!!
            Surely that's a lion!

Comment

Two inches not 2 feet - feet is a single mark i.e. 2' = 2 feet, 2" = two inches.
              The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

As am in Tunbridge Wells and nowhere near Longleat so can be fairly certain it wasn't a lion.
                Prints were muddy and so difficult to tell on size but quite large splodgy prints so may have been a fox.
                But whatever it was it has SQUASHED my peas and that is unforgiveably especially as the flaming mice had got the first two lots.
                And now they're uprooting my cabbage seedlings (mice not lions) why? I must have lost about 12 plants to the little beggars now.
                Still rise above it....
                Sue

Comment

Foxes are usually light on their feet. Also being the clever creatures they are they would normally pull the cover off and go under! Cats however know they have right of way so just plough through obsticles on the asumption they shouldn't be there in the first place. I've got spare peas etc if you need them. I don't put mine out now until they are big enough to fight back as it were!

Comment

Mrs Dog
                    Thankyou, very kind offer, but I do have another bed which has not been trampled on (as yet).
                    Last year I only planted the one lot of peas and this year I've got the T & M 4 pea pack which is supposed to take me from May to October so have got some more to sow this week.
                    They just might regrow. I had some Aquadulce Claudia broad beans that got knocked about and I cut them back and they've all regrown, much stronger than the first shoots, so here's hoping
                    Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X