tomato troubles - oedema

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tomato troubles - oedema

This is repeating some info posted on a thread in the veg section, but I thought it might be helpful to put it here too.

If anyone has been experiencing strange symptoms on their indoor-grown tomatoes this year, I have found one possible explanation. It seems that it might have been brought about partly because of the very poor weather we have had down here in March...

symptoms: Little patches of yellow or brown on the top of the leaf. Blisters on the underside of the leaf. Affected leaves wither and droop. Growth of the plant is halted or reduced compared to other plants of the same age.

possible cause: oedema

Roots take up water faster than it can be used by the plant or transpired through the leaves. It is likely to develop when the soil is warm and moist and the air is cool and moist. It is most prevalent in the late winter during extended periods of cool, cloudy weather (that'll be March 2008, then!!!)

Conditions for oedema to occur are most likely in greenhouses or indoor situations.

Keep plants on the dry side and improve air flow.

Affected plants may recover once more favourable conditions arrive in spring and summer.
    Last edited by Cutecumber; 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM.

You could try and match your tomatoes symptoms to - here. Tomato Disease Identification Key-Fruit

Select Leaves, Fruit etc in top drawing.
    Last edited by mcsee; 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM.
    I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Thanks - I've already visited that site but the images related to oedema are of mature leaves. Mine are very young.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X