A blight-tomato problem this time....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A blight-tomato problem this time....

Hi again, It still seems to be rife in my garden and I haven't tracked any real answers down on the internet , so the question is...
    If my tomatoes are showing signs of blight and I lose them could I buy some more in and plant them out later so I might get some sort of harvest???

Plus How long will the blight problem last or am I stuck with it forever now?
    And are there any blight resistant varieties of tomato that I can grow for next year???

Hope someone can help
    Janie
    x
    Last edited by janie; 30-05-2006, 07:02 PM.
    Sherbet, possibly the smallest rabbit in the world....

Hi Janie

The bad news is that blight is transmitted by airborne spores, so if you have it now you will probably have it later. You can try a second crop of toms but spray with either Dithane 945 or Vitax Bordeux Mixture. Neither will stop blight but will hopefully slow it enough for you to get a crop. Spray well before any symptoms appear

Dispose of infected plants, do not compost them as spores will overwinter in soil. Admittedly this will have a much lesser impact than the airborne ones.

Next year try the variety Ferline

Good luck
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

What a shame janie, I hope you get it sorted out enough to get a crop this year. I don't suppose anyone has got a picture to show what we should all be looking for with early blight do they as I'm surprised not more of us are suffering with this weather
      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

blight

Have a look at this website- it is good and the link should take you to the blight pages.

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/dc17.php

hope that helps

Comment

Also a site describing both early and late blight:

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pla...op/pp1084w.htm

Comment

Janie in 2004 we lost everything to blight and last year grew Ferline tomatoes which were a new variety and blight resistant. We got a fantastic crop of tomatoes and I would recommend you try Ferline next year. I get my seeds from www.thompson-morgan.com although other seed companies do sell them. This year I am trying another new blight resistant tomato from www.suttons-seeds.co.uk called Fantasio. I will not plant the two varieties next to each other just in case and I will let you know how they both grew.
            [

Comment

One last site- i remembered seeing it but not wher- but found it again- all the pictures you could want of the veggi diseases:

http://www.avrdc.org/photos/tomato_diseases/

Comment

Hi,
                Thanks for the information, I have noted down the resistant names and will try to grow those next year. I also found another resistant tomato called Legend on the Thompson and Morgan site too.
                Still got my fingers crossed for my remaining plants, but might have to do without this year. Never mind. I'll just plant some more peppers or cucumbers instead.
                Janie
                x
                Sherbet, possibly the smallest rabbit in the world....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X