Compost pests

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost pests

Hi everyone, first post so if the answer is already here apologies.

I started a compost bin a few months ago and the main component over the winter has been kitchen waste. Now its warming up, believe it or not, there is a major infestation of little white flys.

Would i be presuming the obvious by thinking that i have a case of white fly? If so whats the best course of action. As my sets and seeds have started to sprout id like to zap the little blighters before they have a chance to cause an damage.

Also i have a tree in a garden that backs on to mine where my plot is. Its a skinny little thing that looks diesease ridden. It gets little black berries on it but every year without fail it gets taken over by these little black flies that excreat some kind of sticky stuff. Any ideas on the best course of action to take for that? I do try to prune it back so as its not over hanging into my side but as i increase my plot from a 1.5m square hole in the ground to something more substancial over the winter i thought that it could become more of an issue.

I look forward to reading your tips and advice.

cheers

farmerjim

I think flies in compost bin are unlikely to be white fly as they're sap suckers, but I think any flies in there means it's too wet, so try to add a load of dry stuff like scrunched up cardboard and give it a good old stir. Mine's got little brown flies and will get just that treatment wehn I get round to it...

As for the tree, sounds like it could be an elder - we used to have one next door that always got covered in black fly every year. Does it have white blossom like this http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/simonb/P6030009.JPG? The sticky stuff is honeydew they excrete as sap is pretty sugary. Then it gets all manky with black mouldy stuff growing on the honeydew. On the plus side you can harvest both the flowers and the berries. there are recipes on here for them

I just used to cut out the infested branches I could reach but I suppose you could try talking to its owner. Maybe if it was a bit healthier it wouldn't get infested, or perhaps they could take it out...

Comment

Good advice from FHG I think. Flies around compost will be feeding on dead organic matter, so won't be adapted to eat living plants. Your seedlings should be safe from these at least.

I never worry about bugs in the compost - they're all adding to the decomposition process.
      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Thanks guys, Il get some dry stuff in there asap, thanks for the advice. Oh and yes i think it is an elderberry tree, im sure i remember my grandad telling me it was years ago.

Thanks again

Comment

There are lots of white flies in my compost bin and they look very much like photos of whitefly I have seen (they are definitely not fruit flies, though there are also fruit flies in the bin). I haven't noticed them on any plants yet but I'm wondering whether they could have come from plants I have pulled up and put in the bin, which still have green leaves on. Is there any other kind of harmless fly that looks like whitefly? (probably that's a bit hopeful!)
          We only moved here last summer and so this is the first season we will be growing veg - I don't want the tomatoes to be killed by whitefly as soon as I plant them out.

Comment

If you keep your compost heap or bin covered you shouldn't have too much problem with pests escaping outside to your crops. And do remember that what you regard as pests are an essential part of rotting waste down into compost. No bugs or beasties equals no compost, just a pile of waste material that will do nothing.

Comment

black flies

I too have got into this compost your own waste and now have very small black flies all over the compost bin area, they seem to be just around that area and doing nothing to the spuds I had growing or indeed the carrots.
              Should I just leave them.

Also could you tell me would it be worth while buying a tub of worms to put in the bin?

Paul

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X