Those pesky rabbits!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those pesky rabbits!

A quick question - I've finally uncovered the mystery of what's eating my 'stuff' despite having a bed that's raised about 2' off the ground - yes the stunt rabbits were caught red-handed munching away under my netting Unusually they haven't actually pulled anything up other than the fennel & lettuce, but they have eaten all the leaves and stalks (practically to ground level) of my raddish and calabrese. My question is will they come back (the veg, not the rabbits!) or should I dig them out and start again?
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
    Cicero

What a shame Bibliobeck. No your veg won't come back so start again and remember the rabbits will come back. I know how frustrating it is as we were pestered with roe deer before spent a fortune to fence them out and they ate everything - flowers,veg, shrubs, trees and what they didn't eat they trampled over. Everybody thinks they're lovely but the destruction was terrible.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Alice - you're right, they've been back within hours of me writing and have ripped the stuff right out of the bed. We have literally dozens and dozens of rabbits everywhere - looking into the garden in the early morning is looking looking down on bunny central and everything is netted, fenced or has drainpipe around it. But I can't work out how they are getting in to the bed - we've netted and pegged all around It's also safe to say they aren't at all phased by the spinning cds and wind chime

Click image for larger version

Name:	Raised Bed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	2317837

As I grew all my plants from seed is it too late to start again this year do you think??
      Cicero

Comment

They're getting in under the net through any wee gap where's it not pegged. You're not to late to plant some things - carrots, purple top milans, lettuce and mixed leaves, radish, spring onions and I'm sure a lot more. I like your raised bed. Planning some myself. Good luck with the rabbits, I do know the frustration of that kind of pest.

Comment

Really appreciate the encouraging words Alice - I was feeling very despondant today and my face looked like this...

I'm going to persevere though - just got home from the DIY shop and I'm going to try pinning removeable trellis to the outside of the bed (technicalities are my husband's problem!) - they'll need a trampoline to get over that! Plus it should make it easier for me to remove & weed. Be interesting to see if it works anyway.

I'll say one thing for the little blighters, they can get into the net quicker than me...takes me about an hour to unpeg, unstake, unravel & roll back
          Cicero

Comment

Know how you feel Bibliot - I have spent years fighting rabbits. We are absolutely over run with them. I now have an area which is totally rabbit free. * However, they can jump a four foot wall. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

* It has a five foot wall around it
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Good luck with the project. You can keep them out. Roe deer can jump an eight foot fence but hopefully we have succeeded. Any further problems ,if you watch how they get out you'll know how they get in . It's hard when you're watching them eating everything but it does let you know where the weak spots are. Let's know how you get on and post a pic of those crops when looking wonderful.

Comment

Blimey Jennie - 4 foot! Hubbie's out there even now tinckering in his shed with bits of trellis, so finger's crossed it works. After your words of warning I've decided to continue chucking the netting over the top of the trellis anyway, if they do manage to bounce that high, hopefully they'll ping back off into the field over the hedge
                Bouncy little buggers!! Thank goodness I don't have to think about anything 8' high Alice
                Cicero

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X