No announcement yet.

What bug might this be please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I let my partner do the catching I was busy else where in the garden mulching round the fruit bushes. Liming and feeding our crappy poor garden soil that sort of thing.

I'm struggling to find much in the way of information about them and their affect on the garden but I did find this "these animals play an important role in mineralization and nutrient exchange in the habitats in which they occur" plus references to them living on leaf mould that sort of thing.

Maybe one of the Grow your Own experts can tell us more?

Seems that they can't tolerate low temperature so that's probably why they like it down here. Frost kills them
    Last edited by SMS6; 24-02-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Impressed with your pics SMS! I tried and tried the other day but gave up at about the same time as my knees These are a dead ringer for our little critters too and most of them were under dead leaves and roots. Who on earth brought the little jumpers over from down under? In a jam jar?? The mind boggles
      If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
      Cicero

Comment

he managed to get a couple to jump in to a jam jar and then they went a bit quiet so he managed to get the pics.

Seems they came over in imported plants or some such.

They seem to be fairly harmless though from what we can gather.

Comment

I think they are springtails (so they are what David Attenborough was talking about after all) but there are lots of diferent sorts, which would account for us all having slightly different explanations. There are lots of varieites which are native to the UK.

They eat decayed plant matter and play an active role in making soil, so having lots in your garden is a good thing.

Comment

Here's a link to some pics. of springtails some of which look like those mentioned & pictured above. They are harmless, don't bite & like damp conditions & live off algae & fungi & decaying matter so are probably quite useful in the garden.
            What's That Bug? Springtails!
            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

they don't look like the ones in my garden

Comment

Itch...scratch...itch....scratch........
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Further research

I sent the photos in to a magazine's 'Ask the Experts' column and I've just received a lovely email back from them. So all of you with these in the garden can breathe a sigh of relief. Here from the fingers of an expert -

I’m so glad you have asked about this insect as I have come across them several times, but never got round to finding out what they are!

You are correct in your identification – they are indeed Landhoppers. The Latin name is Arcitalitrus darrieni and they are members of the shrimp family. They were introduced from Australia or New Zealand, and although most common in the SW and Wales, they are spreading throughout the UK.

They are usually found in leaf litter and under rotting logs, and as well as being their home this is the place they eat – they feed on leaf litter and therefore are part of the recycling food chain and not in the least harmful in the garden.

Comment

Whoo - good one there. I like recycling things!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Are these the same things?

Hi. We have found these jumping bugs in our garden. Just wondering if these are the same as what you have found. They hop about in similar way to fleas etc.

What are they and how do i get rid of them. Our kids are scared of them.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X