Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moles are beneficial

Animal charity starts mole count

Contrary to popular opinion wildlife experts say moles are beneficial.
    A conservation charity is calling for thousands of volunteers to take part in a national survey of moles.

The People's Trust for Endangered Species says the much-maligned mammal is actually a misunderstood creature which can help gardeners and farmers.

The survey will involve a molehill count because the underground-dwelling animals are rarely seen.

The trust hopes to compile a map of the distribution of the animals to help with future research.

Britons have historically had a mixed relationship with the creatures.

Conservationists say farmers would hang moles from gibbets to ward off other moles, and moleskin clothing became so fashionable in the 19th Century that up to 13 million skins were sold a year.

Ways of deterring or terminating moles are a frequent topic of conversation among gardeners.

However, wildlife experts say moles are beneficial because they eat insects and aerate the soil with their tunnels.

The online survey will be taking place until September 2008.

Molewatch - report your sightings here.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Funny how "our" moles don't make molehills where they'd be useful (the veg patch) but instead make lots of mess in my lawn!!

Comment

I saw the mess that a mole made of my dad's allotment last year, after ploughing straight through everything.

Believe me, he would not be interested right now in how beneficial it might have been, just how good a pair of slippers it'd make!
      Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
      I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Oh dear, sadly my nick is mole ( = mol, in dutch), Mo the mole! don't kill me please... I don't make tunnel like most of the mole because I have phobic for worms and all kinds of larvae-like little creature.

Is there any way not to kill mole ?

Momol
        Last edited by momol; 25-01-2008, 06:25 PM.
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Yes, but we don't want to scare you away either Momol!
          My son-in-law mentioned this survey yesterday. He is keen for us to go with the 3 year-old and count the molehills on their village verges. I'm sure they eat mountains (ha ha!) of pests but I know they also eat earthworms - our friends. I have to say that if one came up in me spud patch I'd be seriously unimpressed! However, compared to many wild creatures, I wish them well.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery
            .... I'm sure they eat mountains (ha ha!) of pests but I know they also eat earthworms - our friends.
            Okay then, it's one worm for momol, one for Flums spuds!

I once stopped the car in the middle of the road to help one across it - I had to pick it up, it was very cute!

The people in the car behind me weren't very impressed - surburbanites!
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I know they can play havoc with manicured lawns and carefully tended veg patches but I've never had the heart to dislike moles. I have vivid memories of holding one as a small child and he was so very soft and lovely (lucky not to get my fingers bitten off, probably ). I think I might have been traumatised by the obvious dangers (to all concerned!) of witnessing my Grandad firing his shotgun into molehills too

Luckily (or not?) they don't seem very numerous round here.
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

if anyone would like a moleskin coat, they can come to my plot and get enough skins to make a trenchcoat, thats if you can catch the b*****ds first. no love lost here for them, benefical my A**e!
                Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
                Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
                  Okay then, it's one worm for momol, one for Flums spuds!

I once stopped the car in the middle of the road to help one across it - I had to pick it up, it was very cute!

The people in the car behind me weren't very impressed - surburbanites!
                  Eeek SBP , I eat cooked meal and possibly vegetarian soon but no worm please...run away!!!
                  friends or not, worm is worm and they are very scary.

I do like mole though, had a chance to stroke one during my childhood, he kind of lost his way and wander in our house, very cute and their fur are very soft and nice.
                  My late hamster was also named Momol .
                  I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X