aphid attack on houseplants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aphid attack on houseplants

hia, I have a persistent aphid attack since this autumn on my houseplants. I tried some biological insectizide but they come again and again.
    Also tried the washing-up liquid method.

Anything else you could recommend until its spring and I can let them get sorted by the ladybirds? Or will the plants/aphids then poisenous to them?

bye for now
    Ulla

Isn't it annoying how they manage to get in the house? I have cured them on non-food plants with Plant Pins - cardboard strips with insecticide that you push into the compost. I wouldn't like to use them on edibles though.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Indoor plants tend to suffer badly in Winter because of low light and temperatures leaving them stressed in what is already a usually abnormal situation for them. Lets face it many are tropical plants that are reared in greenhouse (ideal conditions) and then are expected to survive the British climate and/ or indoors. Our homes may be heated but the humidity is too low and light may not penetrate a room very far reducing photosynthesis and available food etc. On top of that we often over under water and feed etc and by Spring they are sad or a gonner.
      Much as I hate to say it if you have persistent aphids I would treat them with an internal / systemic insecticide to get rid of them. Ladybirds would be a natural control outdoors but unlikely indoors at any time of year. You may lose your plant(s) if you do not treat them soon. This may give them a reprieve until better conditions come Spring when they may recover more quickly.

Comment

I do get crops of green aphids on my indoor over-wintering geraniums and fuchsias ... I just mash them with my fingers. Quick and easy, no poison. Just don't put your fingers in your mouth till you've washed them..
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

its not just the indoor plants that are suffering - i found colonies of aphids on my euphorbias in the garden today - the growing flower buds were infested its January for heavens sake!!
          There's vegetable growing in the family, but I must be adopted
          Happy Gardening!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X