Slugs in compost bin

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs in compost bin

I have been putting any slugs I have found in my compost bin (from the council), is this a good idea ?? or is it going to cause problems with my compost later??

I would think that your compost will become full of slug eggs and slugs. You don't want to spread the eggs around your vegetables. That would be dreadful. Throw them in a bucket of salt and water instead.
    [

Comment

Thanks, I did wonder about the eggs, I have only put a few in there, I will destroy them from now on.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

From walking on Saturday evening in the rain, the little darlings range far and wide, so how did you get them to stay in the bin?
        Last edited by Peter; 08-05-2006, 08:54 AM.
        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Well Peter the bin does have a lid on it, (one of those green plastic jobs) they would have to burrow quite deep to get out

Comment

Tiggs, slugs live in the soil , they quite happily burrow through it, that is how they can munch your spuds in the ground. A compost bin will not hold them unless it is an air-tight one, and as pointed out by others they would just breed like billy-o in there.

I found a six inch long bright orange monstrosity oozing its way along the middle of the road on Saturday and my walk was punctuated by a crunching sound as I strode along in the dark, snails out mating in the rain. They will be resurgent now it has rained.

Check this http://www.nomoreslugs.com/about/species.php out you may find it helpful.
            Last edited by Peter; 08-05-2006, 09:40 AM.
            Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
            Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
            I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

lol Peter I had realised they live in the soil I was just unsure as to how much damage I would be doing by putting them in my compost bin, normally I don't have a great problem with slugs and snails on my vegetable beds, although I found over 80 snails living in my rather large passionflower a few years ago

The problem is I don't have the heart to kill them
              Last edited by Tigs33; 08-05-2006, 10:16 AM.

Comment

don't put slugs in your compost bin!!!

I did this a few years ago as I read a tip in a wee book that told me to do just that as they would happily munch through the contents of your bin rather than the veg on your plot.

But they fill your compost with eggs and then those hatch and create more slugs and then you've got tons of compost that you can't use.

Comment

I only put in about 10, I wont put any more in and if I see them in the compost bin I will remove them.

Comment

Slugs and snails give me the willies! I can't even bear to stand on them never mind picking them up! What am I going to do - it is ridiculous as I slaughter my own hens and have no compunction in putting down a wild animal if it is in pain and would not be able to return to the wild! How can I be such a wimp over slimy things

Comment

Arm yourself with a pair of scissors and a head torch and go out at night on a slug patrol and just cut the blighters in half...that's what I do and I love it! I used to feel really really guilty and go to bed worrying about the mass slaughter I had just commited but soon enough you realise that if you leave them to their own devices you end up with no food for your table and so the guilt subsides.

Comment

Ugh - just the thought turns my tummy! Will try though, but anyone who has ever seen me put my hand on a slug or snail by accident falls about with laughter at my reaction! I just can't help it!!

Comment

you could always wear a pair of marigolds!

Comment

I find secateurs work really well on slugs. They are sharp and just one snip splits them open!!
                            [

Comment

You are all revolting taking so much pleasure in being so mean!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X